Friday, November 13, 2009

A Change of Heart part 7


So Reba took Eliza home as Tyler requested after a few tender words were exchanged between the two. The two women spent the afternoon together catching up and reminiscing. Eliza shared how she had recently recommitted her life to the Lord, as well as Tyler's promise to stop drinking upon hearing the news that they were parents-to-be.


"I just hope he means it this time. I swear, Eliza, you are a saint to be able to put up with that man's antics for as long as you have." Reba said, shaking her head.

"Believe me, I am no saint. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to leave, but I just couldn't do it. As much as Tyler has done and all the hurt I have endured, I couldn't bear to see the hurt in his eyes. And so, here I stay, praying for a change of heart." Eliza said with feeling.

Reba had never known the kind of heartache that Eliza had experienced. Her husband, Mitch, was a wonderful husband and father to their two daughters - a devoted family man. He made a good living as an architect.

Reba, being independent-minded, was the owner of a very successful beauty salon. She prided herself on staying up to date with the latest hair and makeup trends, as well as fashion. She was always well put-together and stylish. She worked out religiously to keep herself in shape. She was known by her daughters' school friends as the "hot mom" which embarrassed the girls to no end. Why couldn't she be like all the other moms?

Though Eliza and Reba had chosen different paths, they maintained their friendship and knew that if needed they could rely on each other in times of need, support or encouragement. Finally, Reba checked her watch. "Mercy me, look at the time! I've gotta run, 'Liza. I have to pick the girls up from school, run by the salon to check on things and beat it home to prepare dinner. You gonna be okay?" she asked.

"Yes, and thank you for being there, Reba." Eliza said thoughtfully. "That's what friends are for!" And with a kiss to Eliza's cheek, Reba was out the door and gone in a flash.

To be continued...

Copyright by Tracy Hathcock 

2 comments:

sarah patience said...

you're doing so well! did you know you had this in you? are you enjoying yourself? it's really quite a captivating read.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I'm enjoying every installment. I can't imagine trying to write fiction. I look forward to the rest of the story.
Blessings,
Marcia