Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Beauty


Self-care has never been my strongsuit. Once upon I time I used to fix up (do makeup and hair) and would draw back in horror at the mere mention of going au naturel. Add three children, homemaking, and dealing with marital discord, things changed and now it is rare for me to spend the time on the whole beauty thing. It is like I fell into a rut and have been unable to pull myself out.


Perhaps I just needed a period of time to drop the facade and quit hiding behind a painted face. One thing is for sure - I have grown quite used to looking into the mirror to see the real me, flaws and all...the freckles that are sprayed across my cheeks and nose, the dark under-eye circles, and the dry patchy skin.


Deep in my heart there has always been this yearning to reconnect to my girly-girl side. I have never been fashion savvy. I used to envy the girls in high school who always looked fabulously pulled together and chic. I think I just gave up on myself, feeling I could never live up to that standard. I am not very knowledgeable about fashion, makeup and hair styles and trends - but I can learn, yes?



 I am embracing my femininity for the first time in years. I am looking forward to learning new makeup and hair techniques, discovering my own personal style, and having fun with it all. It is time to practice a little self-care and nurturing. When you look good, you just plain feel better about yourself and life. Isn't that what every woman wants?

6 comments:

sarah said...

funnily enough, I have been feeling the same way - time to practice a little self-care and nurturing - but for me it means less make-up, because the thought of all those bad chemicals makes me queasy. And not dressing to please other people but just myself. Putting the focus not so much on looking good but feeling good. I haven't been doing it long but already I've started feeling healthier.

But to each her own. I'm at a different time of my life than you. I hope your plan enriches you and that you gain in self-confidence because of it. You are beautiful on the inside, and it shines out through your words, so I hope you find ways to express that as you want in your appearance too.

Avalon76 said...

Don't focus too much on trends and fads. Experiment, find your own style, and stick with it. Make it your signature!

Jen from Silent Stanzas ^_^

Annie said...

Amen to that Tracy. I have a terrible time with self-care. It is only lately that I have been getting regular haircuts and the semi-regular pedicure. Manicures? Well, that's another thing. My daughter has freckles. Not lots of them but she loves them; she embraces them. They are an asset as I'm sure yours will be.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

self care I'm good at, beauty care, I could care less. I'm so busy trying to feel better I don't have time to look good doing it too!!! :)

I too need to do this more. I did cut about 18" of hair off last month which is less work now. But I've yet to put on shadow and blush. Life certainly eats our time up quick enough.

I love how you are opening up more. Thank you for sharing. Hugs. Tammy

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I know what you mean. I think sometimes we get too busy with family needs to think about our own. I think you look beautiful though. Is another installment of your story coming soon, or did I miss it somehow? I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Blessings,
Marcia

Ariadone said...

Hello Tracey, To encourage yourself take a few photo's of women slightly older than you and how they use make-up and style their hair. What is lost in youth is lost and we cannot go back, so I wonder: what are these teenagers doing in your post ?
Good luck and enjoy, you beautiful woman, you.
Godeliva van Ariadone