Thursday, October 01, 2009

Welcome October


"October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band."
- George Cooper, October's Party

Yesterday I dropped my kitties (Zoe & Clover) off at the vet's to get spayed. Today only Zoe came home with us. Clover is still at the vet's - in shock from the surgery and an infection we didn't know she had. We got to go see her and love on her for her a bit. My heart broke seeing my sweet baby so still and unresponsive. Please pray for a swift recovery for my Clover...

I was able to do a little stocking up at the grocery store today: various canned veggies and beans, rice, sugar, flour, cake mixes, cherry, apple, and pumpkin pie fillings, Hellman's mayo, and Maxwell House coffee. It takes time to build a stockpile and I still have lots of things to add, like baking supplies, spices, dried beans, pastas, etc. A well-stocked pantry can carry us through some lean times.

Our a/c is on the fritz. I suspect it is low on freon but there isn't money in the budget to pay a repairman to come out - so we are "roughing it". It hasn't been too bad today. Last night was cool so we had the windows open with a couple fans in two of them and woke up to a chilly house, which quickly warmed up. Right now the thermostat is reading 85 degrees and it's 3:15pm. In the afternoons, I like to go sit outside in the shade with my journal and a big glass of ice water where it's a bit cooler. This situation is helping to develop my creativity, perseverance, and hardiness.

So what's going on in your world on this first day of October?

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Hi Tracy,
I hope you are feeling better today.
We are on a tight budget this month. My son's car broke down among other things. When it rains it pours. Hopefully the weather will stay cooler for you.
I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow ~ won't be much room for the extras. I am hoping I can squeeze in the newest Romantic Homes issue, which I never got around to buying. I have been going to the library a lot the past two weeks!

Tammy said...

I did manage to get to a craft store, but changed my mind on their paints as they were ever so expensive! I know Walmart has the paint and stains and I may do that for my broom...

So sorry about your kitty...they are just like your kids in a way, many people call them fur-kids.

Hope you manage to have a good first day of October!

sarah haliwell said...

I will keep Clover in my heart, I hope so much she recovers fully. Poor thing.