Thursday, October 22, 2009

Simple Living


We have debt. This is our reality. But I will no longer fret over that which can not be changed. Not that I will not work to become free from debt's evil clutches....I am and will continue to do so. But I intend to live my life on purpose, to live as generously as I am able, and to be content and thankful for all that we do have. Little by little the debt will be whittled away and our savings will grow.

The point I am trying to make is that we can not postpone living until we are debt-free.

I am already fairly frugal, but it's time to kick it up a notch. New skills will need to be learned - like making my own laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, fabric softener, and dryer sheets for starters. Learn to make even more foods and goodies from scratch. Whatever we need, I'll see if I can make it myself first. This will require creativity and ingenuity - forcing me to think outside of the box.

I'm not going to let these challenges discourage me!

For entertainment, there are free local activities to take advantage of (like the The Dog-Gone "Howl"-O-Ween Costume Contest our library is hosting this Saturday). We have parks and nature trails, tons of books plus the use of our library resources, board games, a deck of cards, internet, science experiments, art supplies, music, cooking and baking, cross-stitch projects, gardening and the like.

The possibilities are endless if we take the time to open our eyes to the world around us and the resources available.

I have my work cut out for me, but I am up for the challenge. Being an A+ frugalista has become my new hobby. I like learning more ways to stretch our income as far as possible, shopping at thrift shops, and doing things myself. I take great pride in living well despite the cards stacked against us and no longer relying on credit.

To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life. ~John Burroughs

Check out Leila's post on 5 Things Worse Than Being in Debt...an encouraging read!

2 comments:

Missy said...

I read Leila's post last night and it was truely an inspiring read..have been pondering it myself all last night and this morning..thinking on what I could do as well, especially since hubby just took a job that is considerable less than we are used to. I look forward to reading about your journey with this..

mountainmama said...

so inspiring~ good for you!

and great quote at the end, thanks!