Thursday, October 29, 2009

Life In the Kitchen

My days are now mostly spent in the kitchen preparing food from scratch for my family. Yesterday I made pancakes for breakfast, soup for lunch, fried chicken tenders, macaroni & cheese, and green beans for dinner. I also baked a chocolate cake (from a mix that I already had) and whipped up homemade chocolate frosting. My, was it good!


Chocolate Frosting
Melt 1 stick of butter in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 5 Tbsp. milk. Beat together until smooth. Add  4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. There will be plenty left over. I saved mine in the fridge to use later on other goodies.
~
I had a sense of peace as I went about my kitchen work. I am so thankful that I now have the skills to provide good food for my family using basic ingredients. Thank you, Connie, for your encouragement and example! And my family loves my cooking and thinks it is much better than pre-packaged foods.
~
With limited funds, I am forced to be creative with my meals and homemaking - but I also find it quite satisfying. I love creating something out of seemingly nothing!
~
As I go about my tasks I listen to beautiful music on my playlist and sing along - offering up my praise to the One who gives me comfort and strength. I must not rely on myself, but on Him and Him alone.

7 comments:

~Missy~ said...

Doing excellent on your journey!! Hmm, that reminds me, I need to be thinking about whats for dinner with just Eric and I at home tonight ;~)

Suzie Ridler said...

I love this post Tracy! You are a creative Goddess in the kitchen, whipping up fantastic food for your family and I love that cake! I hope you include a link to this page on my foodie blog on Nov. 1, totally an autumn harvest treat.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Being in the kitchen really can be so peaceful. I enjoy spending time making meals but I could do without the clean up LOL

mountainmama said...

your posts often make me so hungry! :) sounds like a great day~~~ very soul nourishing as well as tummy!

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Hi Tracy! I'm so sorry i've not visited as often I my heart wants to. When I'm having really bad days it's difficult to focus on what I must do and what I want to do. I miss your blog and your ever inspiring words of womanhood. You may not know it but you examplify womanhood in a way without bringing us to the dark ages but not screaming gloria s to us as wheel. A lovely balance.

i too made a cake for my hubs. I call them homemade from box cakes. He always smiles for me. Devils food with coconut pecan frosting. yum.

Hugs to you friend.
Tammy

Anna said...

Yum! I have fun in the kitchen, too.

How do you make your chicken tenders?

-Anna

Lyn said...

What a lovely feast you made - good food encourages the soul and makes everything seem a little better and a little richer!