Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Welcome September



In my garden there is a large place for sentiment. My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams. The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are just as lovely. ~ Abram L. Urban
*
As my birthday approaches, I have spent more time in reflection. I told Alfred over the weekend that basically half of my life is over already. What will the second half hold? I most certainly don't want to waste any more time being a people-pleaser. I have my own life to live.
*
I want to live fully and deeply, while being true to myself. I think the main thing is to take each day as it comes, fully embracing what is, being mindful and present in this moment. It's about learning to love myself just as I am and casting off the mask of perfection. Real life is far more interesting anyway.
*
There is more to me than meets the eye. I know there is much to be unearthed - more facets of my personality just waiting to be discovered - like precious gems in a diamond mind.
*
There will always be work to do, but I see no reason why I can't make it as pleasant as possible. When the work is done, I believe in filling the time with things that bring me joy: working on a cross-stitch project while listening to & singing along with a favorite CD, savoring the taste and texture of a chocolate brownie with a glass of milk, noticing the way the sun's beams of light stream in through the kitchen window and across the kitchen floor...the simple things that go unnoticed and are taken for granted because we are too busy, tired, bored, preoccupied, or _____ (fill in the blank) to appreciate them.
*
I don't want to live unconsciously any longer.

6 comments:

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

It does seem like the first half of our lives is devoted to others, children, family, friends and community, so it's about time we started focusing on ourselves and be a little selfish for a change.
Enjoy the second half of your life...live for yourself!

Laurie said...

I know what you are feeling. I look at my life and think what have I done? Yes, I am a wife and mother and I hope to be a good one, but there is so much that I want to do. It just seems like my life is slipping through the hour glass at an alarming rate.
Hugs))

VintageSage said...

I loved this post!! Lately I have been feeling like I have been going through a mid-life crisis..but I feel the same as you. I have been a people pleaser as well and it's time for me! I even actually started counseling today with a former Buddhist monk. :) Anything to help me through this these days.

I am going to appreciate life so much more these days.....even the smallest of things! Thank you for reminding me. :)

Michelle :)

Jenn@Spejory said...

Tracy,

I'm not sure how old you are, but I am approaching 40 in just a few months. I am loving this part of my life because I am just old enough to be wise, yet still young enough to completely change directions if I want. There is so much I still want to do, be and experience. I am grateful for every year and totally agree with you that it's important to live consciously, every moment.

sarah haliwell said...

But surely you're not 45 yet??

I think you are wise to find beauty and fulfillment in the simple things. That way, you can be happy under any circumstances.

gardenmama said...

I love love every piece of this post! It brings me so much joy to read these sentiments and I wish you well, many warm wishes during this time of reflection may it be a cause for action and a time for celebration of life!!