Friday, September 18, 2009

Falling Leaves and Heritage


These days I often sit outside in the fresh country air. I've noticed more and more leaves are falling, effortlessly twirling as they fall from the sky without a care in the world. While it's still warm here, there has been a subtle change in the temperature. There has been a bit of a breeze, lots of clouds, a little rain here and there. Autumn is quietly making her presence known as she approaches.
*
I have been in contact with an uncle (my father's brother) that I have not seen since I was a child. He is doing geneology research on his and my father's family. So far he's discovered we are of Scottish and Irish descent. My maiden name, Morrow, is derived from "moor-row", meaning "the houses along a moor". On my mother's side we have Danish, Dutch, and German ancestry. Discovering your ancestry is so interesting, isn't it?

4 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE genealogy! I am so fascinated with family stories! :) My grandparents have done so much for their side and I enjoy going through books, copying photos and hearing endless stories!

Glad to hear you are enjoying Autumn. I hope it gets cooler here - it is still quite hot during the day! I am longing for the trees to change ~

sarah haliwell said...

Morrow - I love that name. I was seriously considering it for my pen name. Genealogy is so fascinating. I discovered one of my favourite blog friends was actually a distant cousin!

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Autumn loving...

OT below, but...

Wishing you would read my entry of today.

Aunt Amelia

miss*R said...

it is very interesting to discover your roots.. I am even discovering that there may be Aboriginal ancestors somewhere in my tree!

I am a real mixed bag - Australian by birth - but in my tree I have Cornish, Irish, Scot, English and maybe Spanish and Italian(Roman)..