Monday, August 03, 2009

Welcome August


August creates as she slumbers, replete and satisfied.
~ Joseph Wood Krutch

This past weekend was the final straw. Alfred could not find his beret that goes with his military uniform and tore through the house leaving a mess in his wake in search for it. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am in the midst of a radical and ruthless decluttering. I am a woman with a mission. If it isn't truly loved, useful, or beautiful - out it goes....no ifs, ands, or buts about it!

I want space, room for our home and I to breathe deeply, a place for everything and everything in its place, and beauty in simplicity. I'd be lying if I said it is easy. The fact is it's overwhelming to think about giving the house a complete overhaul, but it is what is needed.

The clutter consumes and takes on a life of its own, leaving me weary and my senses dulled. It has been slowly sucking the very life from me, draining me of vitality and creativity. But all is not lost!

With the dawning of August, I feel determined to take charge and write a new chapter in my life.

8 comments:

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Oooooh sounds like the quiet wrath of mother/wife struck eh? I get that way with clutter as well so i'm sure to go through whenever I can to declutter. It's hard now with the remodeling but I'll be at it again soon enough. Blessings. Tammy

Anonymous said...

Wow! My husband has a large plastic wardrobe in our basement where he keeps all his military clothes. (He is Retired Navy Reserves now.) Maybe you could get something like that for Alfred. As for the decluttering, I try to do that every winter. I do seem to throw a few things away, but not as much as I should. I think I will keep your motto- "If it isn't truly loved, useful, or beautiful - out it goes....no ifs, ands, or buts about it." in mind when I do it this year!! Good luck with your decluttering! I do so love your blog and visit every day. God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Genie Sea said...

Tracy! You and I are on the same exact page! Here's to making room for the things that truly matter! :)

Tammy said...

These feeling come over me from time to time too...then I read blogs about "collecting" and what do I do?? Add to it...sigh.....

Lady Laurie said...

Hi Tracy ~
Oh I know how that goes. My dear hubby is know for putting things somewhere "just for now" ~ and it could stay there for six months!
Hugs))

sarah haliwell said...

Good luck with that!

cathleen said...

Ha! Tell Alfred to look out....because you sound like one determined woman, Tracy. You are inspiring me to think about cleaning out my clutter, too, but...well, it's true what you said...OVERWHELMING!!!!

mountainmama said...

i get this feeling sometimes. it feels so good to go through our spaces in our home and simplify. and often we find things we had been looking for~ good luck! :)