Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nature Ponderings


Nature is alive all around me. There are blue, green, and orange dragonflies with translucent wings, wasps, and fat bumblebees. The bluejays are crying. I think there may be a nest in the cedar tree. The cardinals are chirping. The woodpecker's call sounds like it belongs in a jungle. I watch orange and yellow butterflies flit by in all their dainty prettiness.
***
The sun feels good on my skin and there is the occasional slight breeze. I must enjoy these days before the bitter cold keeps me locked away indoors. I hear the whirring of small engine airplanes as they fly overhead.
***
Leaves are beginning to fall from the red leaf maple tree. Has the recent cool morning weather tricked it into believing Autumn has arrived?
***
The hummingbirds are enjoying the simple sugar mixture I made for them. They are so squeaky, but, oh, so lovely. I can hear the buzzing of their little wings as they zip to and fro.
***
A blue dragonfly gathers its courage and dares to sit upon the arm of my garden bench. We sit companionably side by side - quiet and still. I admire his irridescence which reminds me of the clear blue sea with the sun gleaming on the water like sparkling diamonds.
***
There is so much beauty that surrounds me. When I stop and take the time to observe nature, my soul finds rest and I am wonder's captive.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

It is a beautiful time of year here too...So cool on our morning walks...we found a paved path through a woods that winds around a creek...just think had I not got my diabetes diagnosis we would be in this house and never have discovered it!

Laurie said...

What pretty imagery you write Tracy.
I love this time of year when the days grow a bit shorter and my garden gives its last hurrah.
Love the part about the blue dragonfly!
Hugs))

The Raggedy Girl said...

I have been MIA from blogging this summer due to a home remodel but it is now time to jump back in.

I have really missed your quiet ponderings. In this crazy life it is nice to take moments out for reflexion.

The Raggedy Girl