Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Learning


Last night the girls and I sat outside beneath the night sky hoping to see Perseids shooting stars. We didn't have much luck. At one point I saw one flicker and then another. I became so excited until I realized it was simply fireflies! The girls got a good chuckle over that...

The girls are doing excellent in their studies. I love the way their faces light up when they catch on to something new that we are studying. What was difficult for them last year, is easier now.

I am waiting for several books for Kendall to come in, but his learning is more along the lines of his interests and more hands-on: Natural disasters, chemistry, Asian culture/history/martial arts, practical skills, cooking/baking, writing, and cosmetology (and yes, he is totally straight!:).

There are so many connections being made each day that it is hard to keep track of it all, but the learning continues even after the morning book work is done.

Once book work is done they have the rest of the day to pursue their interests, play, explore, spend time outdoors in nature, play games, dolls, help me with baking, and more. Nothing beats homeschooling!

7 comments:

Jane said...

It sounds wonderful. I wish I could homeschool. What sounds so beneficial is that you can tailor the education according to their interests. If kids are interested, they become engaged in the subject. The public school systems simply has a formula which they dole out to every child regardless of their interests.

Lady Laurie said...

It sounds like your kids have a great year ahead!
One thing I wish public schools would emphasize (sp?) is home economics. I think its so important for kids to learn how to cook, sew and learn basic finances.
Enjoy your day!

P.S. Love the background!

Tammy said...

I had a nice little chuckle about the "firefly" sighting...LOL!

Love your new look! CBOTB must have created some new ones as I've not seen this one before!

It suits you!♥

sarah haliwell said...

It does sound wonderful. And your weblog looks really pretty :-)

The Raggedy Girl said...

Hi Tracy:

I have been on a bloggy break but the work around here is finally leveling off and I thought I would jump back into the pool. I have really missed my visits and hope to be more faithful now.

The Raggedy Girl

8)(8 said...

That's neat to realize in regards to your children's learning. Those activities your son enjoys including the cooking are similar to my spouse's except for your son's sport. My spouse got his degree in a branch of chemistry and history.

Often we can see the meteorite shower every year due to dry air, but a storm came in. It doesn't seem like a monsoon storm either because it is morning and still raining. Maybe tonight there will be an opportunity if this gets the clouds out.

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

Such a beautiful post!