Thursday, August 06, 2009

Dark Days


The sky darkens and looks threatening with gray-black clouds, blotting out the sun. Thunder rumbles long and deep as lightning crackles with electricity, lighting up the sky like the brief flash from a camera. This is the weather pattern for our afternoons now.

I like to stand at the window and gaze out upon the storm's beauty. It reminds me of a woman, a complex creature and tortured soul, who longs for something more in this life and lashes out in anger.

I find thunderstorms a bit romantic - in a dark, gothic sort of way. Though it is technically daylight hours, the sky clouds over like a widow's veil. My pulse slows down as I watch the rain. I am contemplative and quiet. I move quietly across the floor to light candles. Their glow warms my spirit. Celtic music carries me away to places unknown. Depending on my mood, I like to bake, stitch (cross-stitch or embroider), journal, or simply lay in bed listening to the rain on the roof top in solitude.

Even the dark days can have a silver lining.

6 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

I love thunderstorms in the afternoon, as long as everybody is safe inside!
Yesterday it was very dark and stormy then an hour later the sun came out!
Have a wonderful day!

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Storms are such an equalizer of temperance. I love to watch the movement of the clouds and listen intently on the rain. The sound of rain hitting metal or tin... very soothing.

Grace said...

That sounds like a wondersful way to spend some time!

Tammy said...

Beautiful post Tracy!!!♥

I'm going to have to get a Celtic music CD...that sounds like so much fun...stormy weather, candles and Celtic music!!

Grandma Elsie said...

Yes even stormy dark days can have a silver lining... I love to bake during hard rains and storms.
Elsie <><

Jenn@Spejory said...

I love the wild drama of a thunderstorm, too.