Saturday, July 04, 2009

What's Cookin' in My Kitchen


The other day I made a dozen hamburger buns from scratch. They are very good, but also very filling! I think they would have turned golden brown on top if I'd brushed them with a bit of butter.

*P.S. They taste like homemade bread. :)


Fresh squeezed limes {by hand as I have no juicer} to make limeade concentrate.

Limeade Concentrate
Mix 1.5 cups sugar to 1.5 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Heat until sugar is dissolved, then add 1 cup of lime juice.

Limeade {makes 3 cups}
Mix 1 cup of limeade concentrate to 2 cups of water.


Kenzie helped with the limeade and is holding the finished product. :)


Homemade refrigerator pickles using cucumbers from the garden.



Here is a super easy dessert I made last week. Crumble an angel food cake.



Mix up a package of instant chocolate Jell-O pudding...


Mix well...


Pour pudding over angel food cake and refrigerate.


Dish it up and add a dab of Cool Whip and enjoy!

In addition to making the pickles and limeade yesterday, I browned hamburger for burritos, cooked seasoned hamburger patties to be used later on in the week and also made a meatloaf. It felt really good to get a jump-start on dinners for the week.

What have you been cooking up lately?

8 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Yummy! :) Love your limeade concentrate! Is it bad of my that I was thinking it would go great with tequila? :)

Sharon said...

I love limes! That looks so refreshing!
What an easy and good-looking dessert too! :)
Have a great 4th!

Penelope said...

You have one of the prettiest blogs....I love the photos you post. It's just such a pleasure to read it!

I can't believe you made hamburger buns from scratch. That is really neat! And probably delicious.

I love lime-aid.

With Loving Stitches said...

Did they taste like buns or more like a bread? I'm so curious. I would imagine they were more filling. Most homemade items are. When you remove all the junk out of food, it tends to do that to you. Good job.

Mama Monique said...

Today it was not much. After a visit to "The Efteling" (teampark in Holland) we ate by the big M (Mc Donalds). A real party for my little boy, a disaster for my body.

O well... we do this kind of things once every two years... So for once... ;o)

Vintage Lizzie said...

YUM!!!!...I wish I were coming to your house!!!!! Happy Fourth to you!!!

Suzie the Foodie said...

Totally breaking my rule and coming here and to say I am still visiting Tracy and LOVE this post! Homemade hamburger buns?! You are the domestic queen. And that homemade limeade is making me so thirty!

Msrobin said...

Mmmm, it all looks yummy, especially the limeade!