Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Homeschool Questions


A reader writes:
I find it really intriguing how a mother manages this besides all other things that are demanded of you, and being just one woman: what puzzles me: where is your OWN life and personality in all of this and WHEN do you rest..
***
Since God has seen fit to bless me with a husband, children, and a home of our own, I consider it my duty....my calling...to put my heart and soul into all I do, especially where my family is concerned. They, in essence, are my life by my choosing.

I find it quite liberating for I am able to focus my attentions on the things that really matter in life. Our home is a peaceful oasis because I put forth the effort to make it so.

Believe me, my personality shines through. Just ask my husband and children! I sing silly tunes when they say a phrase that is similar to one in a song...I simply can't help myself! I am silly, laugh heartily, sassy, creative, loyal, opinionated, nature-lovin' gal. There's no hiding this personality under a bushel.

As for rest, I try to go to bed at a decent hour and I usually take a nap every day after lessons are done. Lessons only take a few hours - not all day like public school - and then we're free to rest, play, and pursue our interests.

Do I wish I had more time for all of the things I'd like to do? Sure...what woman doesn't wish for more hours in her day? But my children are growing up so fast and in a few short years they will be ready to fly the nest. Then I'll have all the time in the world to do what I want. Until then, I want to give my children the best of me.

7 comments:

Ariadone said...

Thank you so much Tracy for answering my questions. I get the impression homeschooling gives you more time each. It also sounds so simple when you explain it, wheras the schoolsystem in my country is so very, very complecated and a source of constant burden, it often seems. And then I have been on the parents side and on the schoolowners side..You probably understood my confusion that you prefer homeschooling, but...I'm learning, I.m learning. Thank you.
Have a wonderful day and night..
Godeliva van Ariadone

Tracy said...

You are most welcome, Ariadone! :)

Tammy said...

I don't homeschool, but I've come to enjoy my daily nap! ;D

And you are right...there be lots of time later...lots and lots of time!!

sarah haliwell said...

This is a lovely response. I always imagine your house as a place filled with light and laughter. It seems I am right.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

My son used to do that to me. He would say a word and tell me to put it in a song. OMGosh that is too funny. I still today will be provoked into such silly things but I dont' mine. It's my spirit talking... :)

Laura said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog this morning.

I am now a follower,
come see me-
Laura

homehum said...

Beautiful post. Ditto--for me! The life of a homesschooling mom is one of deep fulfillment for me, too. I work hard every day to make my home a place of comfort, peace, and joyful learning, yet I feel that I have MORE time than most of the women of my acquaintance, to pursue the things that nourish my soul: reading, writing, knitting, sewing, drawing, nature jaunts--and much more! I can't imagine being happier doing anything else.