Friday, July 24, 2009

Homeschool Q and A

Question from a reader:
I really honestly don't get it that you can be a mom and a teacher at the same time. I have been a school manager for many years, in my country there is no homeschooling, or only, in an extraordinary case when the child is very handicapped. I am trying to learn more about how this goes and works for the child...is there a budget involved ? Do you need to be trained as a teacher already before you are allowed to homeschool ? Don't you get bored and irritated with one another? What about socializing and preparing for a demanding job later on in life ? All these questions come to mind...Many blogging ladies are homeschoolers. Many Christian women are homeschooling. How come ? Is this your culture ?

My answer:
I chose to homeschool my children to preserve our family time, to protect their fragile souls from bullies, drama, and mean spirited teachers, and because no one knows what is best for my children better than I do.

Homeschool laws and regulations vary from state to state. Some are strict and others are more relaxed. Personally, we are registered with a cover school. Others choose church schools or are teacher certified themselves.

My children are very well socialized. They take karate, attend a weekly church youth program, and are out and about living life, meeting new people, making friends. They easily speak with adults and other children. They have minds of their own and are not easily swayed by popular opinion and/or ideals.

I love my children and am so glad I have the freedom to homeschool! Sure we have our bad days occasionally. Who doesn't? But we have better relationships overall because we spend so much time together and we know each other.

As a one-income family we are careful with our finances, but we are able to give our children a quality education. There are resources all around - the use of the public library system, the Internet, buying used learning resources rather than new, or create your own curriculum if you so choose. I honestly don't believe you need an expensive curriculum for children are naturally curious little learning machines. They maintain their sense of wonder and love of learning when they are allowed to be creative and explore.

We work and play together. We have lively discussions. We explore, research, experiment, observe. We read books about subjects we are interested in, watch movies, make things. We are active with karate, running, bike-riding, walking, basketball, volleyball, scooter races, and hula-hooping. We bake and craft, put together puzzles, play board games, sing, dance, twirl. We have animals we love and care for. We believe in the Golden Rule.

My children are happy, healthy, and whole and that is really the heart of the matter, isn't it? I have no doubt that they will grow up to be fine young adults - responsible, respectful, and well-adjusted as they lead passionate, creative lives. I count it a privilege to be able to travel alongside them to help them achieve their dreams.

6 comments:

A Stitch In Thyme said...

You answered this curious teacher very well. I wish I had homeschooled my son all through school but to be honest with you, I was physically unable to do so. It is my greatest regret as a parent. Children with autistic disorders are often labeled due to one incident in school and it follows them. My son was bullied & I fought back at the school system. The leaders within the school system make not like me but they no my name. I advocated aggressively for change in the school system's IEP policies and we won. My son is a very articulate young man & he has a very determined mother.

He graduated early from his class. He was already ahead a full year and still graduated 6 months early. I was told his homeschooling for the total of 3 years is probably the most stable he had been, which I fully agree.

I agree with you tracey, kids are so bullied in a poluted public system. Zero tolerance does not work and anyone who believes it does has not had a "handicapped" or "special needs" student. Even the teachers loose their cool with these kids. Your doing a GREAT service to your children!!!! I for one applaud your sacrifices short term for the overall long term payoff.

Your children will thank you one day, I promise you. My son sure did & that alone makes it worthwhile.

Brava!!

Ariadone said...

Thank you Tracy for explaining this to me. First I will think it through. May I ask some more questions later on ? You can always see wich you will answer..it is very helpfull, because I find it really intriqing how a mother manages this besides all other things that are demanded of you, and being just one woman: what puzzles me: where is your OWN life and personality in all of this and WHEN do you rest..
Thank you.
Godeliva van Ariadone

Mama Monique said...

Wow... I think you are a very strong woman. I don't think I can handle homeschooling, although I have deep in my heart the feeling that it could be better for the child. As you say: the drama's and not knowing who the teachers really are...

In Holland there are a little few people who do homeschooling, one of my readers does it and I do read her stories.

I hope we made the right descission about the school for our little boy. At the moment it gives us a good feeling, maybe because the headteacher is the same teacher I had in my past ;o)

Thanks for sharing a big choice you made in your life. Want to wish you a great weekend.

Tammy said...

You answered very well!☺

God's Princess said...

Good to see such a good home school :-)More power to you!

mountainmama said...

so inspiring! thank you~~

what lucky kiddos :) and you too it seems~~~~~