Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Dis-ease and Learning to Listen


Christine wrote a fabulous post about the gifts of pain. It was a timely reminder to me to take better care of myself. I had an appointment yesterday with my rheumatologist and learned I have bursitis in my hips and knees...just one more diagnosis in a long line of dis-eases:

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Psoriasis
Panic Attacks (controlled by medicine)
and now...
Bursitis

What this says to me is that it's time to start taking care of Tracy again. As a wife and mother, I often sweep my needs under the rug in order to make sure the needs of my family are met. But where does that leave me? Run down, in pain, feeling unmotivated and uncreative. Not exactly the kind of life I envision for myself.

Today, I resolve to listen to my body and all that it has to teach me.

The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling.
~Nursery rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields, What the River Knows, 1990

8 comments:

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

I've already commented, back a tiny bit.

But I do so hope you listen to your body. And to your doctors of course.

I'm not one to dismiss modern medicine. I'm alive today, because of modern medicine.

'Aunt Amelia'

Wish on a Whisker said...

Tracy~ LOVE the nursery rhyme! Thanks for sharing it! I wish you the best in health and happiness. ~Mandy

Grandma Elsie said...

OOH...been there done that ..ALL...
So do take care and give some though to you or you will end up like me..
Do a little bit...set till pain eases and get up do a little bit and ...over and over all day...
Wish someone had to told me to look after me.a long time ago.

Mama Monique said...

I said it earlier, but I know a little bit how you're feeling. One of these days you'll find a sum of my disorders (that's how I want to call them).

Hope you will find yourself back again in a short period of time.

Good luck!

P.S. Lóve the poetry. Do you mind me using it on my blog?

Tracy said...

Monique - I don't mind at all! :)

sarah haliwell said...

You have my sympathy. I am so sorry for your pain. Being chronically ill is hard, especially when you are homeschooling a young family. May you blessed be.

Christine Claire Reed said...

I love that poem -- such wisdom!

Mainstream medicine is GREAT for acute illness -- heart attacks, for example, but when it comes to chronic stuff -- esp. pain related -- it just kinda, well, sucks.

I get bursitis in my shoulder when it's too humid. There are so many homeopathic creams that can help -- but like your poem says, there's just nothing like lots of MOVING and fresh air.

Peace!

homehum said...

It seems that ever since I turned 40 my body has started falling apart! I have come to the same conclusion as you: if I am going to be around to care for the people who need me, then I had better start taking better care of myself--but, boy is it hard!

Love the nursery rhyme!

~Susan