Wednesday, June 10, 2009

This and That


The days have grown hot and humid. Already this morning it is 74 degrees. Yard work will now be done either early in the morning or late afternoon once it has cooled down.

Monday evening we discovered another snake as we were watching a burn pile. Alfred think it was the same snake I saw climb the tree in the front yard a couple weeks ago and left its snake skin. It was right along the fence trying to get into the neighbor's yard {and the husband is deathly afraid of snakes} so I helped Alfred wrangle it.

.::Tracy, the snake charmer::.

Once we caught it, the girls and I were able to pet it. It was a non-poisonous snake, so it was totally safe. They are very smooth to the touch. I took pictures, too. He was about 3 feet long. We released him on the other side of the yard along the wood-line and watched him slither his way up into the trees. It was really neat!

Alfred and I went to karate class last night and boy was it tough! I am a little sore this morning, which is okay. It just means I worked hard. I did ten push-ups! I didn't think I could do one. And I jogged, too...and survived!

Slowly, I am stepping out of my comfort zone, trying new things, and challenging myself to do things that I always said I could not do. I have always been overly cautious and with the result of a stifled, narrow existence.

But I have always longed for something more...

7 comments:

A Stitch In Thyme said...

I'm not sure if there is a more gratifying feeling then challenging yourself to do what you thought you could not do. Then, succeed at it. Give yourelf an abundance of credit for stepping out of your comfort zone. I too am a creature of my own zone. But, continuously challenge myself. Good job.

Rhonda in OK said...

I think catching and petting a snake sounds very brave and adventurous! even if it is not poisonous.

sarah said...

This post made me shiver in so many ways! Snake petting. Sit ups. Jogging. Gardening. You are so brave!

Genie Sea said...

Snakes and karate and new things, oh MY! :)

Susan in SC said...

How nice of you and Alfred to catch the snake before it slittered into the man's yard. You must be good neighbors. Good for you in going to karate!

Hugs,
Susan

Jane said...

I'm so afraid of snakes!!! Breen wants a boa constrictor for the house and I said NO WAY!!!!

The Muse said...

stepping outside the zone...it can be terrifying and thrilling all in one....

Glorious isn't it?