Saturday, May 09, 2009

A Tribute to My Mama for Mother's Day


As Mother's Day approaches, I thought I would share a little about my Mama.

Mama was always there for us kids growing up. Home was my safe haven where I could be free from peer pressure and just be myself. Our home was filled with love, laughter, movies, music, and girls' nights.

Mama wrote a couple of short stories about animals - Uncle Herman and Henrietta {alligators} and Matilda the spider. We loved Mama's stories. She could draw, paint, sew, crochet, and do wood-working. Mama enjoyed working out in the yard and she passed on her love of music and reading to me.

Mama always made birthdays and holidays special. She always made fabulously decorated cakes. And since we didn't get toys throughout the year, birthdays and Christmas were extra special.

All of my friends thought my Mama was so cool and always wanted to spend the night at my house. Mama always made them feel right at home.

After my parent's divorced, finances were tight but Mama made sure we didn't go without. We didn't have much in material goods but we had plenty of love and knew she would have given us the moon and stars if she could.

Mama was my mother, but she was {and still is} my friend. I am thankful that we are still so close and I am proud to be her daughter.

Thank you, Mama, for always being there for me when I needed you and for all the happy childhood memories!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

What an awesome tribute!

Happy Mother's Day to YOu and your Mom!

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and your special mom!

Blessings,
Brook

Genie Sea said...

How absolutely touching!

Happy Mother's Day :)

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute to your mom. I had a wonderful mother too. She's been gone for 14 years now and how I miss her. Enjoy your mother and make wonderful memories. Happy Mother's Day to you and your mother. Kathy in Illinois

Busy Grandma Elsie said...

What a wonderful Mother you have.
I am so glad you still have her and the beautiful relationship with her.
Happy Mothers Day

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

A lovely tribute to your Dear Mama...

Happy Mother's Day!

Gentle hugs,
'Aunt Amelia'
Dear you,~
Aunt Amelia's Attic

sarah said...

That is so beautiful. How blessed you were. Now I understand why you are such a lovely person.

Many hugs to you on this day.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Wonderfully spoken. Happy Mother's Day to you and those you celebrate with. Enjoy your day! Your a sweet soul.