Friday, September 04, 2009

Changing Seasons

To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with Spring. ~ George Santayana

Summer is fading. We have had little tastes of Autumn here and there in recent weeks and it has been refreshing. Autumn is one of my favorite times of year for the reprieve from Summer's heat and humidity, which means more time can be spent out of doors.

This weekend I am going to pull out my Autumn decorations after seeing Deniece's lovely home. It will also be a good time to pull out my Gooseberry Patch Fall, Family & Friends cookbook. It is nice to try new dishes to go along with old family favorites, don't you think? I, for one, am looking forward to more baking and comfort foods.

I am always on the lookout for ways to add beauty to our daily lives without busting the budget. * How nice would it be to add a bouquet of flowers to the weekly grocery shopping excursion? For less than $5, we can enjoy flowers for a whole week. * Candles are always affordable and add a sense of intimacy and coziness to the home atmosphere. I have a good supply of Yankee Candles (votives) puchased on sale for $1 each. * I have numerous projects I want to tackle in the next few weeks. Most are quite simple and inexpensive. I just have to make time to get them done.

What things are you doing in your home to mark the changing seasons?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracy, your blog looks so pretty and autumn like, right now.

Autumn is my favorite time of year too, and I love to bring out my fall decorations. My little squirrel acorn, my pitcher with fall leaves painted on it, and my beeswax candles. I enjoy the thought of pumpkins to come, soup on the stovetop, and apple bread baking in the oven.

Take care,
Lena

gardenmama said...

What a cozy and warm post Tracy!
We too are certainly feeling the signals of fall! I have had a feeling of nesting, cozying up our beds with flannel and down. Making lots of bread and soup, We made beeswax candles for our dinners indoors... it is a beautiful time of year!