Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Playing House


Remember how you used to play house? You would soothe and rock baby, make mud pies, sweep the floor, fold baby's clothes and blankets and happily so.

It can be like that again.

Instead of thinking of homemaking as drudgery - something to be avoided or rushed through - begin to think of it as play.

Sing while you work. Make things pretty. Putter and rearrange your pretties to make interesting vignettes. Fold and put carefully away your lavender scented laundry. Whip up homemade goodies in your mixing bowl with your wooden spoon wearing a cute little apron.

Don't forget your big beautiful sunhat as you walk to the mailbox to gather the mail or go out to the garden to cut fresh flowers to create a centerpiece for the table, set with an eclectic mix of pastel-colored dishes and sparkling glassware.

In the morning, after you've tended to your daily beauty routine and are dressed for the day, you go about the house throwing open the curtains and blinds and open the windows to allow fresh air to circulate throughout the house for 15 minutes before the heat of the day sets in. You notice how the windows and mirrors sparkle and the polished floor gleams in the sunlight.

It is your world. You are the creator of your own fairytale.

10 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Kudos to you Tracy! You are a weaver of your own special magic. :)

Bobbi said...

Wow - "...you are the creator of your own fairytale..." great prose! I never thought of approaching the drudgery of housework through the eyes of a child. Nice work!!

rock, paper, scissors said...

Tracy, I love this post! I love how you are living the life of a homemaker. I always think of a home as having a soul. It's so important to put love and good energy in it.

xoxo
Jane

Sandcastle Momma said...

I want to come and live at your house!

The Raggedy Girl said...

I always think of my home as my playplace and that is why I named it that! Great post.

The Raggedy Girl

Wish on a Whisker said...

Love this sweet post! I enjoy cleaning my little house. ~Mandy

Paula said...

Dear Tracy,

What a beautiful and inspiring post! You are a wonderful writer!!! I love homemaking and enjoy 'playing' each and everyday. I see being a homemaker as a blessing from the Lord! Thank you for sharing your heart!

Love, Paula

Lady Laurie said...

Dear Tracy,
You always have the sweetest homemaking posts. Never fails to put a smile on my face.
Hope you are having a wonderful week and enjoying this bit of cool weather we're having !
Hugs))

~~Deby said...

oh...yes..we would play *house* I wonder, do children do that nowadays ?....your thoughts on this were so well put...hmmmm..playing house..reminds me of the verse in Titus 2 about being a Keeper at home...
great post Tracy
deby

Jenn said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful way to think of our daily "drudgery." I have been wearing my mother's gardening hat -- a big straw hat with a large flower on it. I feel fun and happy with it on and it brightens my day (and hopefully that of the neighbors who see me out the window).