Friday, May 08, 2009

A New Revolution


As home-keepers, we are often underestimated and looked down upon by society. Little do they know the great power we hold as we go about our daily duties living quiet lives at home.

We do not need the pre-packaged junk at the supermarket. We know how to make our own mixes and baked goods using basic supplies.

We know how to make our own household cleaners. We leave the toxic chemicals at the store.

We choose not to dress in today's skimpy fashions. We sew our own or look for beautiful, feminine, modest clothing in thrift stores, consignment shops, or on Ebay.

Some of us have cottage industries whose products are far superior to those we find in retail stores.

We love our husbands and children and enjoy using our creativity to build a cozy nest for them.

We homeschool because we want our children to be taught our values, to be able to pursue their passions, be creative, learn practical life-skills, and be independent thinkers rather than blindly following the norms of society.

We know how to stretch a dollar in order to live within our means.

We plant vegetable and herb gardens or buy fresh fruits and vegetables from the farmer's market.

We are in control of our days. We get our tasks done early in the day and spend the afternoons doing things we enjoy - letter-writing, reading, writing/journaling, painting, stitching, piano-playing, or taking tea.


{source}

Home-keepers, be strong and courageous! Turn off the nightly news and tune in to Wisdom. She will lead you to the path of peace. She will help us build our homes with the fruit of our own hands. There is profit in all labor. Do not grow weary.

Tie on your aprons. Gather your supplies and weapons - mixing bowls, wooden spoons, rolling pins, canning jars, needles and thread, paper and pens, paint and brushes, mop and broom, clothespins and wicker baskets. Put up some happy homemaking music and get to work!

We are Sisters of Liberty, creating a New Revolution!

15 comments:

Ariadone said...

Dear Tracy,
To call you my friend: I have found in your words The Devine Housewife that Nigella Lawson has inplanted in me as a goal to pursue...alas...up until now: the desperate housewife is more me, but then: I have been working in my art ( dancer ), in education ( teacher ) and in education-management ( I owned two schools in different seasons of my life ) for 38 years, and raising my threesome and being married to my beloved now for 33 years. Can you inmage it was time for me to come back home ( october 2007 ) to become a whole revived woman of certain age , a newly skilled, self-made homemaker ?
It is NOT true that society looks upon you as of a lesser art/skill/motivation. You won't let society get a change ! But for the rest that you are saying in this post: I applaude you, dear friend and thank you, for now, pieces by pieces and along my own path ( wich is much slower than in those 38 years and I need that SO much ) I am still learning and still growing.
I will come back for another cup of tea and sit with you at your blog.
Be well
Ariadone
Godeliva

The Raggedy Girl said...

I always love to come and get encouraged by your writing. Thank you for that.

The Raggedy Girl

Rhonda in OK said...

Good morning Tracey

love this post. Hope you don't mind if I print it off and hang it inside one of my cabinet drawers to re-read for encouragement.

The picture is great too, I've had fun looking at her others on flickr

hope you all have a nice Friday and weekend

Tracy said...

Rhonda, I don't mind at all! I'm honored that you found it encouraging. :)

Busy Grandma Elsie said...

Timeless & so true.
Happy Mothers Day.
Elsie <><

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Twice today I have come across post that have touched me. This one is fantastic. I do believe every word of it and try hard to live by it. Wonderful post.

deborah said...

Thank you so much for encouraging me. I have been so discouraged lately.. and this is a fresh reminder that I can only do what He has called me to do. Chasing after income isn't always going to be the best option when He has shown me that I need to be content with what He has chosen for me.

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Dear One, please help me to learn to be in control of my days, by doings tasks early. Which leaves uncluttered afternoons for enjoyable things, like letter writing, etc.

All these years, and I still don't manage my time well. -sigh- But there's always tomorrow.

And thought you might be interested in an entry I put in my Letter Writing blog just now... In the picture... ^_^

'Aunt Amelia'

Laurie said...

What a beautiful post! I'm so glad I came upon your blog - thank you for your inspiration!!
Hugs,
Laurie

sarah said...

Awesome post. Really brilliant, encouraging, witty, and wise.

Linda said...

Thanks so much for such and encouraging post. So glad that I found your blog. Linda

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

It is so delightful to visit and read your inspiring blog. I especially love this wonderful post!

Happy homemaking,
Brook

cathleen said...

Tracy...this is a truly awesome post...I love it. Also, I mailed the little bag and lilac soap you won in my giveaway this morning. Hope you love it!!! Have a lovely Mother's Day, sweet lady!!!

Kassandra said...

Dear Tracy, I simply LOVED this post!!! I´m asking your permission to translate it to spanish and post it on my blog www.kassandrashabby.blogspot.com, I´d like to share it with my latin friends... Thanks for all your deep and beautiful words.

Lyric said...

Another good one, Tracy. I have been reading your blog and wrote a couple articles on my blog (well, mostly quoted you). As a newbie to all this "life" these reminders are excellent. Especially as things are going to get tighter in this society.

Thanks for being a force on the WWW.

Check out my blog if you can, please.

Cheers,

Lyric
http://www.sewandcro.com