Monday, May 11, 2009

Letter-Writing: A Lost Art


To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart. ~Phyllis Theroux

It is always a pleasant surprise to receive a letter in the mail from a friend. How sad it is that letter-writing has become a lost art in this technological age!

When my family moved away from Pensacola, Florida 25 years ago, letters kept me in touch with my best friend, Paula. School pictures were exchanged as well as girlhood crushes and secrets. I still have those letters from Paula and like to reread them from time to time.

I love pretty stationary, stickers, and pens to write with. I, myself, have a few pen-pals but thought it would be lovely to expand the letter-writing circle.

If you would like a pen-pal and to revive the lost art of letter-writing, please email me at Rosehavencottage (at) yahoo (dot) com to exchange mailing addresses.

May your day be blessed with beauty...

8 comments:

The Raggedy Girl said...

I just watched You've Got Mail last night and the Grampa was talking about exchanging written letters with the mother of the girl who owned the book store. You know letters with envelopes and stamps....smiles.

The Raggedy Girl

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa you! Actively looking for pen-pals. May your search be fruitful.

Happy Monday in May.

'Aunt Amelia'
Dear you,

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Wonderful idea. Done.

Bobbi said...

I have an out of state friend who I still write letters to every few weeks. I also stil sent hand written thank you notes. The internet and email are great, but I love the art of putting pen to paper. There is just something romantic about letter writing.

sarah said...

Alas, Susan could tell you what a hopeless correspondent I am. I have a Thing about post offices! But it is a beautiful idea.

Genie Sea said...

Ah! The lost art of letter writing! I would like to participate except I knwo I would be a terrible pen pal! You might have to sue me for pen palimony :)

Cynthia said...

mmm, I've love a letter in my mailbox, it happens so infrequently. I've often thought of the lost art of letter writing -- sitting down with pen in hand, the ink carrying the emotion of the moment.

blessed be

MrsFranklin said...

Hi Tracie. I emailed you yesterday about being penpals. Not sure if you got it. Count me in, I would love to be penpals!