Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Not all of her dreams...


Not all of her dreams came true,
but she was never sorry she had them.
~ Jodi Hills, An Imperfect Life

As a child I had many dreams. I dreamed of being a singer, a model, an actress, and a teacher. In high school, I had decided I didn't want children as they would hold me back from the life I wanted - power, prestige, and all that money could buy. But God... He had a different plan for my life.

The path He chose for me isn't always easy. I have been stretched to the limit and seemingly broken, but looking back I can see He has always walked with me through the shadows. He lifts me up out of the mire and onward I go.

My life is not glamorous. As a wife, mother, and keeper of the home, my work is never done, but I find fulfillment and satisfaction in a job well done. Being a one-income family, finances are often tight, but it helps me to be creative in my every day life. Necessity is the mother of invention.

As I look all around me and see my children run and laugh, see my husband smile as he takes me in his arms, prepare a meal from the food in my pantry and freezer, watch my flowers bloom, notice the birds in the trees, and the sun, moon, and stars in the sky and somehow my former dreams of power, prestige, and money does not matter so much.

My life is full with love, creativity, nature, beauty, spirituality, joy, peace, and the work of my hands. And that is all of the riches in this world that I need...

7 comments:

Melissa Lester said...

Beautiful thoughts to keep this mom humming a happy tune as I tackle laundry this morning.

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

A lovely, lovely entry...

'Aunt Amelia'

notesfromthefrugaltrenches.com said...

"My life is full with love, creativity, nature, beauty, spirituality, joy, peace, and the work of my hands. And that is all of the riches in this world that I need..."

AMEN!

Raggedy Girl said...

What a beautiful post, I really love it and can so relate to it.

Have a Terrific Tuesday
I love coming to visit you
from
Roberta Anne a.k.a. The Raggedy Girl

cathleen said...

You forgot to add something to your list! You are a wonderfully inspiring writer too! This is beautiful, Tracy...just beautiful!

Genie Sea said...

Blessed be :)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful writing Tracy. I have loved reading it.

I worked, until my son was born, and then I stayed home. I remember so many times, folks telling me how lucky I was, that I "could" stay home with my son. I wanted to tell them, that for me, nothing was more important. They all drove brand new cars, and had the latest things. So much of life is about the choices that we make. Sometimes, we have to do things a bit differently, than we'd perhaps like. Life does hand us hard times, and then we do the best that we can, with what we have, but sometimes, people simply choose things over quality of life. Maybe, that is changing some. I hope so.

Lena