Saturday, April 25, 2009

Food


Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire

What a blessing it is to gather around a bountiful table each evening to eat dinner with my family. I love to look at each of their happy shiny faces after we bless our food. Silently, I offer up my own little prayer to God thanking him for the gift of a family of my own to love and care for.

The most pressing daily need is nourishment. As I prepare each meal, I do so for the good of my family...to nourish them physically, mentally, and emotionally. I always try to prepare foods that my family loves and set the stage for a peaceful dinner. The evening meal brings us all together again at days end.

Meal preparation is an art in itself. I like to search through cookbooks for mouth-watering recipes, experimenting with flavors and spices...adding a bit of this or that, and watching my family eat heartily. It does my heart good. I've come a long way from being the microwave queen in the early years of my marriage!

Yes, food is a necessity. But looking at the array of fresh fruits and vegetables at the grocery store or farmer's market, and you will see a rainbow of colors and a variety of flavors. God loves beauty so much that He even our foods are pretty. How blessed are we to have such beauty and pleasure in the ordinary.

6 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Getting together for dinner at the end of the day is one of the sacred rituals out there. It's a shame that a lot of families have lost that. Kudos to you for keeping it up and acknowledging it! :)

Raggedy Girl said...

Happy Pink Saturday
from the Raggedy Girl-Roberta Anne

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire"

How wise was Voltaire, hu? And how neatly you have summed up, the joyful preparation of family food.

And what a Spring-like and pretty illustration, you put on your entry too.

All in all, a very Spring-like post!

'Aunt Amelia'

Lady Laurie said...

Hi Tracy ~
I know I get stuck in a rut sometimes with cooking but I keep trying. For the most part my gang will try just about anything !
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Wish on a Whisker said...

Your blog is a lovely place to visit! ~Mandy

sarah said...

We don't eat together around the table at dinnertime, because we are together all day long and it just feels tiresome. Dinner is our chance to rest in silence in each other's company. So we will read or do something else while eating. But I still feel a secret joy in preparing healthy, nourishing food for my family :-)