Monday, April 20, 2009

Exploring

Friday Mama, the girls, and I went to the feed store. A lively employee said to the girls upon our entering the store, "I know you girls want to take some baby chicks home with you." And of course, they did, but we are not prepared for chickens just yet. Instead they were content to watch and pet the chicks while giggling and lots of oohs and aahs could be heard.

We browsed through the flowers. I found a beautiful rose bush called Tropicana. It's a beautiful pinkish-coral and had such large blooms. I was in love! I may go back and get it at a later time. I bought three packages of perennial seeds: sunflowers, hollyhocks, and foxgloves. These will come back year after year.

We did buy heirloom tomato and green bell pepper plants. Mama and I will get those put in the ground sometime this week. I wanted the heirloom rather than the hybrids so I can try to learn how to save the seeds - if they can, indeed, be saved. I imagine they can. I need to read up on it. I'm looking forward to having home-grown tomatoes in my salads and bell peppers to help season my dishes!

Later that afternoon, I took the girls to another local park to play. It was warm but there was an occasional breeze to cool us. The girls enjoyed playing on playground equipment different from our town park. While they played I took in the sun while deep in thought with the breeze blowing about my hair and face. Afterwards we returned home calm and happy. Being outdoors is always so soothing to my soul.

4 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Coming to your blog is like being outdoors. Soothing to my soul :)

Raggedy Girl said...

Sounds like a really lovely day. I am ready for the change of seasons.

Roberta Anne = The Raggedy Girl

sarah said...

It's lovely to see your close relationship with your mother :-)

What a wonderful day you had.

Kimberly said...

That rose is beautiful! I love roses.