Thursday, April 02, 2009

enCouraging Bliss: Return to Your Garden of Eden


Christine's assignment for this week: We're going to do a visualization and writing exercise, and we are going to build ourselves an internal Garden of Eden, an internal sanctuary surrounded by whatever it takes -- high walls and a moat with scary creatures in it.
***
I see myself wearing a long flowing dress in layers. It is sheer and white and appears to glow in the dark. My hair is the color of dark chocolate and my long curls are caught up in the wind, blowing back away from my face as I walk into the night's mist.

I carry only a small lantern to light my way in the fog as I walk along the sandy seashore with the waves crashing against my bare feet. The roar of the ocean is hypnotic. I forget all space and time. I just continue to walk slowly and let the sound of the waves soothe my spirit.

In the distance, I see a small light. My curiosity piqued, I begin to walk toward the light. As I move closer I realize it is a candle in the window of a small stone cottage. Around my neck is a chain with a skeleton key which unlocks the door of the cottage.

I turn the door knob and let the door swing open. My breath is caught in my throat at the sight! The one room cottage is aglow with a warm fire in the stone hearth. I am instantly drawn to it in an effort to ward off the chill in my bones. My eyes sweep the interior a second time.

The quaint cottage is cozy and perfect in every way. There is a bed covered in romantic linens with a wooden head board with carvings of flowers and birds. The windows are dressed with lace curtains.

The table is covered with a pretty cloth and set with an eclectic mix of vintage dishes and glassware. There is a pot of soup bubbling on the wood stove, a loaf of homemade bread cooling on the sideboard along with an apple pie.

In the bathroom is a deep, claw-foot tub, homemade soaps, and a variety of homemade lotions and potions. White fluffy towels and a thick terrycloth robe make me yearn for a long luxurious bath.

There is a quaint desk filled with stationary and writing instruments. There is a vase of roses on the desk along with a leather journal. I take a peek at it and notice my own handwriting. I have at last found my home...my place of belonging.

14 comments:

Gypsy said...

What a beautiful scene. I could actually visualize your words, to the very last detail. Beautiful!~

blisschick said...

Oh, Tracy! I love that added touch at the end that you find that you were already there -- as evidenced by your own writing in the journal. Excellent.

Knowing this place resides inside of you, now you can visit, and in giving it your energy, you will eventually notice ways that it manifests in your waking life. Excellent! :)

Raggedy Girl said...

This sounds so wonderful...maybe you should write on and open a Bed and Breakfast so I can come and visit.
Smiles....

from Roberta Anne
The Raggedy Girl

Lady Laurie said...

How lovely, sounds like the perfect cottage, a bit of heaven on earth.
Hugs))

Grace said...

Your Garden of Eden sounds lovely.

Emma said...

Wow!! Gorgeous.

sarah said...

Really beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

We did exercises like this in therapy training. It was easy to spend a long lovely time on it and perhaps forget the underlying principles we were supposed to be learning and applying - but my inner safe place has stayed with me ever since.

Melissa Lester said...

That sounds like a perfect spot to live, dream and become!

Jei said...

I'm with Roberta Anne...open up the B&B I'll Be there!

lucy said...

i had such a strong sense as i read that you were already there...and then the lovely ending with your own hand writing awaiting. beautiful!!

cocosparkle said...

How wonderful. A beautiful story.

miss*R said...

gorgeous & perfect xo

delightfuleclecticabode.com said...

How lovely Tracy! My favorite part is the ending because it was YOU who created this space. You can visit it any time you wish. You have the gift of writing.

~Sandy

Tracy said...

Thank you, Sandy!