Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Authenticity


"It is better to be disliked for who you are than to be liked for who you are
not. How much easier to be authentic than to pretend to be someone you are not.
What a relief just to be. How clear and simple. How honest. How real. The only
thing you really have to share with anyone, anyway, is your own state of being."
~ Judith Ann Parsons

I spent much of my younger years trying to be what I considered to be perfect. I thought if only I could be the perfect wife, mother, and homemaker. If only I could be more outgoing, less shy, gain weight, lose weight, get fit, be prettier, wear the right clothes, etc. And on and on it went. I continually beat myself down with my own thoughts of self-criticism.

Now I am a little older and wiser. I am not perfect, but I am now comfortable in my own skin and I like who I am. I prefer to dress for comfort rather than trying to make a fashion statement. Most of the time, I wear no make-up and my hair is long and loose or pulled up in a clip. Sometimes I even wear a bandana to hold my hair back out of my face.

I don't fit in with mainstream society and I am okay with that. I am my own person and celebrate my uniqueness. Being authentic really is so much easier than trying to be something you are not.

7 comments:

Paula & Skip said...

So well written and expereinced. How cares about perfection when progress is available. Paula

Genie Sea said...

Perfect photo for this post. The happy homemaker with the tats! :)

I don't even know what mainstream is anymore. But whatever it is, I know you are fabulous. :)

Susan in SC said...

Amen! I agree with you 100%. I like being outside mainstream society. It makes it fun to look in on what they are doing and knowing we are doing as we please!

Hugs,
Susan

Sandcastle Momma said...

That's a lesson I've learned in my life as well and I'm trying hard to instill it in my daughter. Once you get comfortable in your own skin life becomes so much more fun!

A Stitch In Thyme said...

This post would make you and I kindred sisters. I too wear what I like and feel comfortable in. My hair is past my belt line though i've thought of getting it cut seriously. And I haven't worn makeup in too long. It's too hot and it would slide right off my cheeks. :)

Your authentic self is the best example of yourself!!

sarah said...

Congratulations on reaching this place. Many people never get there. It's wonderful, I'm so happy for you :-)

Anonymous said...

Indeed!

xo
Lena