Friday, March 06, 2009

Secret # 9: Transcending Rejections and Roadblocks


We are nine weeks in to the blogging book group based on The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women, hosted by Jamie Ridler. This week is about moving past rejections and roadblocks.

Life is full of rejections and roadblocks. There is no way around it. {And if you've managed to sail through life untouched, please share your secret!} Most of us get back up after we've licked our wounds and carry on.

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

But when you have poured your heart and soul into your craft, your art, I imagine it is even harder to deal with rejection. As a writer, I make myself vulnerable on a daily basis through my blog. Gail wrote: "Putting yourself out there and sharing your work qualifies as an act of courage and tests your fortitude." Indeed, it does!

All art requires courage. ~Anne Tucker

We all have a choice. We can choose to stay as we are or we can step out into the limelight of our own making. We must have faith in ourselves and our art and refuse to give up! So, yes, lick your wounds if you must, but be persistent in the pursuit of your dream. And never let 'em see you sweat...

Art is your emotions flowing in a river of imagination. ~Devin, Los Cerros Middle School, 1999

13 comments:

Genie Sea said...

Three cheers for choices! :) A million cheers for stepping out into our own limelight! :)

Raggedy Girl said...

Always such lovely and thoughtful posts.

Have A Really Fun Friday
from Roberta Anne

Arty Em said...

Thomas Edison said "I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."

I love your quote about being an artist is a success to begin with! amen amen and amen!

Karley said...

Very true. We all deal with roadbloacks--it is what we CHOOSE to do with those bumps in the road that, in the end, makes all the difference.

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Life is full of both 'ups' and 'downs.' Say Yea to life, and keep going. Excellent advice.

And thank you for your sweet words, Dear One.

Aunt Amelia
"If not now, when?"
~~Rabbi Hillel

cathleen said...

YOU, my dear, are a wonderfully inspiring writer...I am glad you never give up and you continue to enrich lives with this lovely blog of yours. Have a comfy cozy weekend!

Tracy said...

Thank you all for your kind, encouraging words. :)

Fatma said...

It absolutely takes courage to step out into the world with your creativity. Thank you for having the courage. I love your blog.

KathrynAntyr said...

Keep the faith!

Let's hope we don't lick our tongues raw. :)

xoxo k

Caroline said...

What wonderful thoughtfulness...

bathing in limelight it is!

Debra said...

I used to get all hot and bothered if people didn't like what I wrote or did or created and then I'd race around trying to make something everyone would like and appreciate. After the exhaustion of all that, God told me if I'd just try to obey and please *Him*, then He would be my audience of one--and my life would become way more simple, with one single goal, not twenty. He was so right. :) Blessings, Debra

intothedawn said...

I love both of those quotes! And I think that faith in what we're creating is such a key to perseverance. If we love and believe in what we're creating, how can we ever really be a failure? We can't.

Lisa PN said...

I love the clarity of this post. So strong and aware.

Thanks for that. i think it was exactly what i needed to read!