Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rain


{source}

The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain. This is the kind the anonymous medieval poet makes me remember, the rain that falls on a day when you'd just as soon stay in bed a little longer, write letters or read a good book by the fire, take early tea with hot scones and jam and look out the streaked window with complacency. ~Susan Allen Toth, England For All Seasons

It has been a lazy kind of day. I managed to get my grocery shopping done this morning and make it home in between downpours of rain. After taking care of a few basic domestic duties, the day was spent watching movies {Speak and Christy}, reading a magazine {Southern Lady}, and taking a nap as the rain drummed on the roof top.

I love the coziness of a rainy day. There's something about the rhythmical drumming of the rain that causes me to slow down and breathe a little deeper. I tend to be more contemplative on rainy days, for they are perfect for quiet occupations such as stitching or journaling. Soft music playing, candles glowing, and the aroma of something tasty bubbling away on the stove only adds to the peaceful atmosphere.

I am continually seeking to build my home with the works of my own hands and to create a comfortable nest for those I love and for the ones who seek refuge here. Within the four walls of my home, I am the creator of my world and can make it whatever I want it to be.

What are you creating today?

3 comments:

Raggedy Girl said...

What a lovely post and it perfectly describes a rainy day.

from a Raggedy Roberta Anne

sarah said...

That's my idea of heaven. I wish it rained every day so I every day could be like that. Maybe some sunshine in the morning for the children, and then soft cozy rainy afternoons.

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

What a lovely, lovely entry. Totally relaxing. Each bit of it. :-)

What am I creating today? Better health... By noticing my routine and *tweeking* it, where needed. :-)

Aunt Amelia