Monday, March 23, 2009

Learning, Living, and Working Together


The girls and I had an enjoyable day. We made chocolate chocolate chip cookies and the girls played with their baby dolls. Kenzie decided to drag her wooden kitchen set out to the kitchen so she could cook along with me, despite the fact that both girls helped with cookie baking.

I set up a cozy little reading nook in the living room. I placed a small chair {similar to this one} by the window beside a basket full of children's books. The basket holds books such as:

Science Fun at Home by Chris Maynard
Audubon Field Guide for Southeastern states
The Burgess Seashore Book for Children by Thornton W. Burgess
Christian Liberty Nature Reader: Book 1
Nature Math: Right in Your Own Backyard
The Happy Hollisters at Happy Cove by Jerry West
Ida B...and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World by Katherine Hannigan
"B" is for Betsy by Carolyn Haywood
The Raggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Prudence and the Millers by Mildred A. Martin
Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys & Girls
The Browning Boys by Isabella Alden
Little Mommy by Sharon Kane
The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos

The girls played outside for a while and then Kayla began to feel unwell. It was discovered that she was running a fever. Kenzie remained outside riding her bike and then set about gathering items from nature to set on fire {with my help, though it wouldn't stay lit} to heal all of those in the family who are sick or not feeling well {three people at the moment}. My little medicine woman in the making! This child has an active imagination and likes to be on the run, doing lots of different things.

My girls {at ages 12 and 8} have asked for new baby dolls....ones that look life-like. I found these sweet dolls for them. In an age where children are growing up much too fast, I am thrilled they still want to play with baby dolls and still have that innocence about them.

I am so thankful for our cozy days at home - learning, living, and working together.

4 comments:

Raggedy Girl said...

I love the idea of a little reading nook.

Have a Marvelous Monday
from the Raggedy Roberta Anne

sarah said...

I'm sorry Kayla is unwell, I hope she gets better soon. I love Kenzie's response!

You've got some great books there :-)

Genie Sea said...

I love how you make every day an enchanting one for your family and for us! Thank you :)

notesfromthefrugaltrenches.com said...

I used to do that, have baskets of books around, they really make a house a home!