Thursday, March 19, 2009

Joys in the Garden


It is a wonder to behold. The petunias I planted last year have begun to bloom once again! Petunias are annuals that are only supposed to last one season. But mine have defied the status quo and are determined to bloom and grow.

I really enjoy my time outdoors with my hands in the dark soil. Weeding, planting, or pruning...it's all good. Yesterday I planted a few sprigs of monkey grass and a couple other plants that my neighbor had given to me. I want to buy more morning glories and sunflower seeds to plant. Perhaps a few more petunias to add to the ones I have in my large containers.

Mama and I are going to put in a small garden this year. Tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and green beans are what we will be planting. I really hope for an abundant harvest. I still have a lot to learn as far as gardening goes. But what a blessing it will to use fresh vegetables from my own garden!

Other nature notes:

~ My rose bud has bloomed into a beautiful flower. The first this season!

~ My hydrangea is growing once again. There are new green leaves. I can't wait until there are lovely blue blooms.

~ I have noticed a lot of black crows lately. I never realized how large they are. Very interesting...

7 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

Your yard is going to be beautiful! We have a lot of black crows here right now too - which is odd because we never see them around here. They're being mean to the mockingbirds but that's karma for you LOL

Tracy said...

I haven't noticed these crows being mean to any birds. They hang together though & go about squawking. I wonder why they are hanging around?

Raggedy Girl said...

Your petunias are just lovely.

Have a Thankful Thursday
from the Raggedy Roberta Anne

Tracy said...

Thank you, Roberta Anne, but those are not my petunias....just a lovely picture I found online. My petunias, while pretty, look very puny at the moment. That's why I want to get more to fill in the container. :)

Rhonda in OK said...

Crows are huge!
we had lots of crows when we lived in the country. Sometimes I would look in the yard and see a big crow and would first think it was a stray dog.

sarah said...

what a lovely spiritual message one could take from those petunias :-)

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

And they are not just a straggler, blooming here and there. They are a massssssss of blooms. Lovely!

Also lovely, that you have blooming flowers already. 'Tis your warm climate of Alabama. :-)

Enjoy!

Aunt Amelia