Thursday, March 26, 2009

enCouragingBliss: When We Were Six


this week's assignment from Christine from BlissChick:

Tell us what you were like when you were about six.

Would that little girl be happy with your life now?

When I was six, I was confident and carefree. I loved learning and had lots of friends. I was always outside playing. Mama said whenever I would go off from the house, I would return bossy. I loved to sing and can remember my Aunt Vonnie being amazed at how well I harmonized along with songs playing on the radio {I want to say the song was Islands in the Stream by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers}. I wanted to be a singer, a teacher, and a mommy.

As a 6 year old, I loved:
* birds
* music
* singing
* keeping my bedroom neat as a pin
* rearranging my furniture and pretties
* playing outside
*learning

I think the little girl I was would be happy with a good portion of my life as it is now with the exception of excessive worry, panic attacks that keep me home-bound much of the time, lack of true friends in real life, and not being able to keep my house as neat as I would like to.

The things I loved at the age of 6 are, for the most part, still with me. She just needs a little more courage to break out of her shell and play freely.

11 comments:

Raggedy Girl said...

Tracy:

What a nice post and while we are just blog friends I like being your friend and stopping by each day to see what you are doing.

Have a Thankful Thursday
from Roberta Anne

Penelope said...

You have been given an award at my blog :)

blisschick said...

Tracy, Thanks for playing along!

I wonder what it would take to give you back that sense of courage? Just something to think about...

sarah said...

I can just picture that dear little six year old. It's a great writing exercise, I might try it myself.

I have a funny idea about courage and our inner child. I suspect that so often the reason we are scared and anxious in our lives is because our self-at-six is still too much awake in us, and adult lives and responsibilities are too much for children. Pop psychology always tells us to get in touch with our inner child, but my feeling is perhaps we ought to leave her where she was, in that halcyon past, and get in touch with our inner adult.

Not saying any of this applies to you, it's just your post triggered the thought in my head and you know me - I think and immediately write it out. ;-)

Tracy said...

Very interesting point, Sarah...It's something I had never considered.

I always appreciate you sharing your thoughts! :)

Emma said...

I'm sending some happy, singing birds to your 6-year-old self! I have experience excessive worry and panic attack. You definitely have my empathy.

I hope you have some beautiful, worry-free moments in the next few days.

cocosparkle said...

Ahhhh that song...I think it might get stuck in my head now!

Thanks for sharing your memories, they really touched me. I to feel lonely and find it hard to get out of the house somedays. I will work thru it, as I am sure you will too! I know that this writing assignment really helped me today! It is so fun to tap into that 6 year old, I feel empowered by her, I hope you do also!
Much love

Jei said...

Hi Tracey

Nice post. Forgive yourself the untidy house, worry, and panic attacks...I find that the more I forgive myself for what I see as shortcomings, the more they seem to disappear~

Jei said...

Tracy

Forgive yourself the untidy house, worries and panic. I find that the more I forgive my shortcomings, the more they seem to disappear

The Muse said...

I am glad I am not 6 anymore... nonetheless...
I do like the imagery of your 6 :) !! :) Your words made me smile :)

Pamela said...

What a very sweet six-year-old you were! It's not surprising that you're still very sweet!

I've struggled with worry and panic, as does my son, so I can empathize. It seems the more we can stay busy, take small steps in trying something new, the easier things are.

Thank you for sharing yourself with us, Tracy. :)