Friday, February 20, 2009

Secret #7: Consulting with Guides


This week on the Next Chapter book club, Jamie asked us to:

"...expand our reach even further by sharing with one another guides that have helped us along the way - books, singers, websites, writers, poems, coaches, maps, videos. Let's spread the love."

Where do I start?

Music has always been a part of my life. It's funny how hearing a song by The Doobie Brothers can bring back fond memories of my childhood. I can see the blonde-haired little girl that I was then who lived at 712 New York Drive in Pensacola, FL (the house is no longer there) and it is like I am there again. I still occasionally dream at night of going back to that house...to recapture the magic and happiness of childhood.

Other musical influences include: Prince, the BeeGees, The Carpenters, Chicago, Boston, Lita Ford, Skid Row, Cinderella, Motley Crue (and many other hair bands), Duran Duran, Britney Spears, Carrie Underwood, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Tammy Trent, Jeremy Camp, Tait, Phillips, Craig & Dean.....the list goes on and on. I really do have an eclectic taste in music.

As a young wife, mother and homemaker I was highly influenced by the writings of Emilie Barnes. I devoured her books for cozy homemaking details and help. I still have many of her books to this day. Fascinating Womanhood by Helen Andelin was also a guide to me, as were books by Elizabeth George. As far as writing goes, my admiration for Sarah Ban Breathnach is no secret.

I became familiar with Lady Lydia of Homeliving Helper long before she began blogging. Her writings have always inspired me and I consider her a mentor from afar. Mother Connie's life and writings also inspires me. Many of you know Laine's Letters, Jewels from Eyes of Wonder, and Rhonda from Down to Earth - all have offered encouragement and inspiration from afar.

The Sarah: Plain and Tall trilogy are my favorite movies to watch. I also enjoy the Love Comes Softly series, Anne of Green Gables, the Waltons, Little House on the Prairie....I'm sure there are many more that I can not think of at the moment.

One day I'd like to have a personal mentor and friend, but for now I find inspiration and guidance all around me and from the power within me.

8 comments:

Melba said...

Thanks for the great links!

CynthiaMarie said...

You're enchanting! Thank you for all the inspiring links!

Music, Books, the power within and the guidance that surrounds and fills us! Thank you!

Have a beautiful day!
Cynthia

Snap said...

Wonderful links!

Music! Here's to delightful sounds.... the music of the earth ...

sarah said...

You are your own muse.

Lisa PN said...

A breathe of fresh air! Thank you!

Genie Sea said...

What a treasure box of inspiration! Thank you for reminding me of the inspiration of music! :)

Gypsy said...

What a beautiful and powerful inspiration music and books can be; thank you for sharing your guides with us.

KathrynAntyr said...

I discovered as I read this chapter that I truly am surrounded by guides. We are lucky to recognize the wisdom found in various forms. Music was one that I hadn't thought of - thanks!