Friday, February 13, 2009

Secret #6: Conquering Saboteurs


Photo: Flickr

We're six weeks in to The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women book study hosted by Jamie Ridler. This week is about conquering our saboteurs.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deep fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." ~Marianne Williamson

I have my moments of inadequacy. I know for a fact that I am my own worst enemy. I get swept up in fear, what ifs, doubt, and self-criticism - such a paralyzing fear that has become a vicious cycle. So much so that I dream of tornadoes and my stuffed feelings come out in panic attacks.

I can't help but wonder if my fear is that I don't know my own strength and I could indeed be powerful beyond measure. And if that is the case, people will expect more from me and what if I can not live up to their expectations?

And that leads to more questions...
Why do I feel I need to hide who I am?
Who says I can't be fabulous and live the life I dream of?
Why can't I put myself first?
Why do I feel the need to be a people-pleaser?

How does one conquer the saboteur when it is yourSelf? You take it one day at a time. You are gentle and nurturing with yourself. You create boundaries. You make time for your passions. You count your blessings.

And if all else fails, you fake it 'til you make it...

14 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, I understand your words here more than you know.

Gypsy said...

Your post speaks to me so closely! Wonderful post! Be kind and gentle with yourself!~

Her Speak said...

So eloquently stated. Here's to following our passions! Here's to Finding your Bliss. :)

Much Joy, Many Blissings~*
Molly

Shannon said...

So glad to have found your lovely blog. Your words speak loudly and I must say they sound so similar to my own feelings of fears. It seems as much work at overcoming them as it is to feel them. Thanks for sharing.

peppylady said...

I wonder how many people would say their own worst enemy. I just start to read some other post.
As to fears they sure hide under different things in life. But every so often they rise up.

Coffee is on.

Genie Sea said...

You are simply marvelous and I don't care who knows it! :)

sarah said...

This was great, and came at just the right time for me. I sure do think you're great! :-)

intothedawn said...

Be fabulous & live the life you dream of! Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all were courageous enough to do that?

Diana said...

Yes, we need to keep our focus on our passion.

laundrygirl said...

I hear you so loud and clear right now.
Sometimes I fake it and sometimes I just say out loud - I'm so nervous or I'm so scared as I continue with that which scares me. As Andrea said, sometimes putting it out there makes it easier to deal with. I am encouraged by your post.

THEE DUCHESS SATURDAY said...

Today, I've learned to daily become the creative woman imprinted upon my soul!

Lisa PN said...

Such great great questions.

Thanks for being wonderful and honest!

Lisa PN said...

Such great great questions.

Thanks for being wonderful and honest!

Lisa PN said...

Such great great questions.

Thanks for being wonderful and honest!