Monday, February 23, 2009

Quiet


My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation,
In secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.
Isaiah 32:18

This is such a lovely verse in Scripture! I know for me, the more doom and gloom I hear reported on the news, the more I want to nest and create a peaceful home for myself and my family.

Though things may be crazy outside my front door, within the boundaries of my home and property I am in control. The atmosphere of the home, for better or for worse, is largely my responsibility as the home-keeper.

I have been trying to incorporate more pockets of quiet within the rhythm of our days. The early morning hours are quiet times for me, but my children need periods of quiet and rest whether they realize it or not.

Afternoons are perfect for quiet time. If I am especially tired I like to lay down and rest and I encourage my children to rest as well or to do quiet activities during this time - watch an art show, listen to soothing music, free reading, or arts and crafts.

We have karate practice late afternoon twice a week and the rest of the week they like to be out of doors. Once Alfred comes home, it is time to settle down. He is tired after a long day of work and needs to rest and recharge for the next day.

I highly recommend turning off the tv and listening to soothing cds. The girls and I enjoy Irish music. I just bought a cd called Mystic Irish Rain which has some lovely Irish tunes....all of which have the sound of rain in the background. Or you could try sounds of the sea, thunderstorm, country rain, waterfall, garden, or any number of soothing sounds. Whatever suits your mood or strikes your fancy!

As one of my mentors, Connie, says:
The main thing to bring to your home is peace...Quiet days of love and harmony. This is what keeps children healthy and happy. A quiet mother is such a luxury for the whole family.


Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
1 Peter 3:4

5 comments:

Debra said...

Those are two of my favorite verses...thanks for sharing them. And thanks for your comment last night at my blog. I appreciate it so much--I'm walking around in a grieving sort of daze so your words really meant a lot. Blessings, Debra

Raggedy Girl said...

I don't know how I missed this yesterday but I not only love having quiet times, Miss Cakes and I like to cuddle in the big old rocker but I like to have places where I can go and it is quiet.

Have a Terrific Tuesday
from Roberta Anne

Tracy said...

Roberta Anne, I posted this one late in the evening. :)

Debra, know that you will be in my prayers. Losing someone special is never easy. Allow yourself that time to grieve & be gentle with yourself. Let me know if there is anything I can do...{hugs}

cathleen said...

Pure and lovely words..Tracy. The way you share when you write your beautiful posts clearly shows your inner beauty.

Tracy said...

Cathleen, thank you for your kind words! Hope you are having a lovely day. :)