Thursday, February 26, 2009

Practical Skills


We are bombarded daily with uncertainties. We can and should take steps to prepare for harder times ahead, but we should do it with a willingness to learn new skills that will enable us to maintain a cozy home-life.

Our attitude is of utmost importance. We shouldn't look on these changes as drudgery, but rather we should embrace these learning opportunities. Practical skills will be our saving grace.

I would start by learning how to cook and bake from scratch, or expanding my knowledge in this area by trying new recipes. I would begin to stock the pantry with canned goods and plenty of baking supplies. I would learn how to make my own household cleaners and laundry soap out of common ingredients.

I would plant a garden of veggies and herbs. This will help you stretch your food budget, not to mention your food won't be sprayed with pesticides and it will taste so much better. Even if you live in town or an apartment you could try container gardening.

How about basic sewing skills? Can you sew on a button or stitch a fallen hem?

The point is to learn as much as you can now before the hard times come {if they do}. The better prepared you are, the more confident you will be in the face of adversity. You will be a treasure to your family and a beacon of hope.

4 comments:

~~Deby said...

You are right..and what we can do will be different for each of us...
I started stocking up last payday...I am having the mindset to prepare as if a real earthquake happened...instead of a economic earthquake....I am also aware of the fact that I am also preparing that I might have to share....it is all the Lord's anyways..but this way maybe I can give a bag of groceries to a family who just got laid off or had a crisis...
Deby

Genie Sea said...

You, my dear, are a beacon of hope :)

Natalie said...

Very well said! I agree completely and it is something I am trying to do everyday now.

sarah said...

I am blessed to live in a country where the recession has not hit so hard, but even so these are wise words which I have taken to heart.