Friday, January 16, 2009

Week 2 - Honoring Your Inspirations


I tend to be free-spirited and can not stand to feel boxed in and scheduled. My tendency has always been to do things as I feel like it. Some things must be tended to regularly, especially when you have a family, like meals, laundry, and karate practice. Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis and panic attacks (though the latter is improving), I have my physical limitations as well.

With that being said, it is my chief aim in life to make my home a place of beauty and inspiration, and a peaceful haven. I am continually evolving as a woman and keeper of the cottage. Ten years ago, I read Simple Abundance for the first time and my life was forever changed. I had discovered what made my heart burn with passion. I wanted to write!

Never before had the written word touched me in such a way, but I squashed it down with excuses and self-criticism. The glowing embers quietly burned within me, patiently waiting for me to step outside of my comfort zone, let go of my excuses, hush my fears and simply begin!

My inspirations are many. I inherited a love of music and reading from my Mama. Nature soothes my soul and invokes in me the sacred out of the ordinary. I am drawn to beautiful images and photography. I sketch, make collages, ATCs, cross-stitch, and embroider. I am a novice gardener. I sing and make up silly songs out of conversational phrases at the drop of a hat.

On a more practical level, I tackle home improvements myself as finances allow. I concoct potions as I learn more about home remedies and homemade cleaning agents. I try new recipes and turn humble meals into feasts. I am finding the home is a well-spring of inspiration. I write about what I know...my life.

My life is my art!

20 comments:

The Muse said...

I think we were created as art...art personified...
Yes living and breathing...things of beauty!

Jane said...

Yay! I believe we are kindred spirits. I love to write, and I love to cottage-keep. I love that term, cottage-keeping! I love to create home-remedies and clean with vinegar, baking soda, liquid castille soap and essential oils. I love playing with the magic of my life, and yes, that is my art. Hm. Your post is inspiring my Week 2 post for 12 Secrets ... Thank you!

sarah p said...

I am so glad your panic attacks are starting to improve. And that you are loving your life :-) I agree with what Muse wrote - we are created as art.

Kavindra said...

Ooh, I love that you acknowledge your silly songs. It is a talent I share, and it is quite a talent to have isn't it?!

Your life DOES sound like art.

Gypsy said...

Thank you so much for reading my entries and I adore yours. I too, am a lover of the Sea. The ocean has always been a sanctuary for me. Although, I do not live near the ocean, all I do is close my eyes and I am there. I also have that nature sound machine to listen to the rain, the ocean and anything else water related. I am an earthy person but also am very close to the element of water. With this group I am discovering my Fire element now :)

I am happy to see you acknowledging you! I love to write as well. I look forward to reading more about you!

Genie Sea said...

"My life is my art!" Perfect! :)

Lisa said...

I have a feeling that the sanctuary you create in your home is a direct expression of your inner sanctuary. I love your words and am so glad that you recognize your passion for them.

Raggedy Girl said...

Tracy:
If your writing is meant to touch hearts then you are successful because every word of your post resonated in my heart. I know what you are saying and I feel those same things. Thank you so much.
Roberta Anne

Laura B. said...

I always feel inspired after I read your blog :)

Sacred Suzie said...

Your light IS art Tracy! You live life beautifully. You have helped me change my perspective on the domestic life in a big way. You are a huge inspiration to me. Keep writing...please?! We need your words!

Sacred Suzie said...

I reviewed your cookies Tracy! I didn't publish the recipe since it's yours so you may be getting more visits as a result which would rock. Just like your blog!

Lady Laurie said...

Dear Tracy,
I love your enthusiasm for life ~ homemaking is an art!
I could use a little of your enthusiasm right now, send some my way!
Hugs))

traveler one said...

You've inspired me to a new thought- instead of trying to say "I am an artist" (which is so difficult for me to say sometimes), I will start saying "I AM ART" instead! How much more fun is that?!
Kim H
http://kimssoulcollagecards.blogspot.com/

intothedawn said...

Knowing how to be a good "keeper of the cottage" is definitely an art! It sounds like you have found such a wonderful balance in your life, mixing creativity into whatever you do, no matter how day-to-day the task might be. That's a gift!

Jamie Ridler said...

Creativity seems to bubble up in every corner of your life - how magnificent! Here's to life being art!

Ixsandra said...

"Life is Art!" Thank you Tracy, for the reminder.

pen* said...

"my life is my art"
perfect.

Lisa PN said...

Many people say to me that they aren't creative, and i always remind them that to be a creative person doesn't mean that you are an actor or a singer. It means that you create something out of nothing. And so, indeed everyone's life is their art. It's just that some forget and others, like you are blessed to be aware of such a gift.
Good one!

Serena said...

What a great post, Tracy...I imagine your home would be a very welcoming one and, I too, am a lover of the sea. How wonderful that you found your passion in writing!

etherealgraphics said...

Tracy, it seems you nuture your nest as well as your soul with all of the creative endeavors you feel drawn to! What a true and deeply blessed life you have chosen!
--Suz