Monday, January 19, 2009

Simplicity


It's pretty bad when you take an afternoon nap and dream of decluttering! But the fact is, I have been thinking a lot about just that and how it corresponds to simplicity.

If that wasn't enough, after watching the Karate Kid movie marathon last weekend, I am finding I am increasingly drawn to Asian culture and decor. It appears to be centered around nature and natural elements. It's simple in design and I like the fact that there can be great beauty in simplicity.

I like the idea of a minimalist lifestyle, but I'm not sure I can go to quite that extreme. It is my ideal to simplify, to let go of the material excess - only keeping what is useful and beautiful. I'd rather have quality over quantity. Time to spend on the things that really matter - relationships and time to pursue my passions - this is what a quality life is made of.

"Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." ~Lao Tzu

5 comments:

Genie Sea said...

I agree with you about quality over quantity. Fewer things, beautiful and meaningful, stand out more. My home is like that, although a neighbor of mine who loves clutter and things called my home soul-less. Hello. Slap! :)

Sacred Suzie said...

Oh I love the modern zen take on decorating! Simplicity is so beautiful. I have been drawn to Asian food. People here don't even know how to make egg rolls. I think I will have to make it myself but that's OK, it'll be even yummier that way.

Lady Laurie said...

Hi Tracy,
My daughter loves the oriental style!
I am trying to fill our home now with things that we truly love or need. It is amazing how much stuff we have even now. My hubby is a true pack rat and hates to let anything go...

P.S. We had potato soup Saturday night!

The Muse said...

we carry so much of our emotional selves in design...whether it be filled or less than full...i think it's all about where we are emotionally at any given time.

i hope you reach your level of fulfillment!

8)(8 said...

I think you can achieve simplicity with other styles as well. Look in the magazine section at the bookstore.