Saturday, January 24, 2009

Secret #3 - Follow Your Fascinations


This week is about following your fascinations in Jamie Ridler's 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women book study. It is safe to say I was far more adventurous as a child than I am today, but I am a rebel at heart.

I am fascinated by the idea of living a unique life - not following along unconsciously with the norms of society because that's what everyone else is doing. I like to question things and come to my own conclusions. I have always been different from others in my every day life, too. How boring would life be if everyone were the same and liked the same things? I thrive on variety and being eclectic.

My main focus this week has been on my home as I clear out the excess. I am intrigued by the idea of living small after seeing the tiny apartments (at 382 sq. ft. and 478 sq. ft. respectively) Sara used to live in. It has just spurred me on in the process of simplifying and decluttering. I am fascinated and inspired!

What encourages me and helps me to be brave? Positive feedback. Journaling. Talking things through. Other people's stories of how they conquered obstacles and had the courage to walk the path of their own making. Prayer.

I haven't done much in the way of writing other than blogging, but I did dabble in the writing of a short story. I shared it on my blog here. That was my biggest risk of the week. It felt good to face the fear and my inner critic and do it anyway!

7 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

Dear Tracy,
I was much "braver" when I was young. Sometimes I wonder what became of "me."
Your blog is such an inspiration to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. Funny, I am always telling my kids to try new things, take a chance, it's a big world out there...but I don't seem to listen to my own advice.

Your short story is beautiful by the way, keep writing!!
Love the name Violet!

Kavindra said...

I'm so glad you won out over your fear and critic and posted your story. That's huge! Congratulations.

I felt like I was right there with the Youngs, in the kitchen having breakfast, seeing them playful and happy together. Plus, they're living my dream! I'm a little envious of your characters :)

Sandcastle Momma said...

I really admire you for overcoming your fear and posting your story - which was excellent by the way. It pulled me right in and left me wanting more.
You go girl!

Raggedy Girl said...

I love your thinking process. I spend a lot of my time mulling over what I am doing and why. I make plans and then tweak them until they work. It is hard to scale down and I think you have to do it in steps.
Roberta Anne

sarah said...

Another encouraging and inspiring post. Although I must admit living small is not so good for me! I'm way too crammed in at the moment!

I loved reading your story and hope you write more.

Tami said...

On the path of simplicity with you. Blessings, Tami

carin.c said...

Glad you took that risk and shared your short story with us. Keep it up :)