Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Order and Simplicity


In Simple Abundance, Sarah Ban Breathnach writes:

"Begin to think of order not as a straight-jacket of "shoulds" (make the bed, wash the dishes, take out the garbage) but as a shape - the foundation - for the beautiful new life you are creating."

This thought struck a cord within me and I have been pondering it for several days. Order is an essential component to creating a life of simplicity for me. I am re-evaluating every item in our home and am letting go of all that is unnecessary.

As I release the excess, I feel freer and have greater clarity. I can then fully appreciate the belongings I do have because they are not overpowered by tons of stuff. I can find what I need with ease. Cottage-keeping is made simpler, leaving me time and energy for other worthwhile pursuits.

How lovely it will be to have just enough and nothing more! It is my goal to have clear spaces - nothing under the beds, in the corners of the rooms, and flat surfaces streamlined. A place for everything and everything in its place.

I am creating a new life of order and simplicity.

5 comments:

Raggedy Girl said...

Tracy:
Your posts are really good for me. I read this book many years ago and think I will go dig it out and take another look.
Roberta Anne

Sacred Suzie said...

Beautiful! It's so true, I feel so much better with less than more. And I only invite in what I TRULY desire. I am trying to let go of shoulds when it comes to cleaning deadlines. I wait for the right moment and then I honour that moment.

Beautiful choice of pictures Tracy! Oh how I love white rooms like that.

Jane said...

I love simple abundance! Lately though, there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day to de-clutter and simplify. My intentions are there but I'm so tired at the end of the work day :((

Gypsy said...

"How lovely it will be to have just enough and nothing more!"

Exactly my thinking. I have always been a pack rat (more sentimental pack rat)but I just can not tolerate clutter anymore. I need to have space. It's freedom to me. Every to have a home and just to be able to breathe!

Yolanda said...

I am following this path this year. Maybe we can share experiences together.