Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Old Favorite


Yesterday, the kids and I watched The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. I used to watch this show when I was a teen! Now I am glad I get to share it with my children.

Bob loved nature and had the most calm, soothing voice. As he paints he talks about the happy little trees or fluffy little clouds that he is painting. He made painting seem easy and would say that there are no mistakes, only happy accidents (and even those can be fixed).

Kenzie wants to be a painter and as the show started there was already some paint on the canvas. She says "it doesn't look like anything!" It will, I say, just give it time. By the end of the show, she was won over. She wants his books and dvds now!

Bob left this world much too soon in 1995, but thankfully his shows are still aired on PBS stations. If you have the chance to watch one of his shows, please do. You won't regret it!

10 comments:

Jane said...

Wow! I do remember him from my childhood. I can almost hear his voice when I read your post!

Raggedy Girl said...

I still watch him. He like Mr. Rogers were both "gentlemen" And I loved his happy little trees. I have no talent for painting but that didn't mean I couldn't appreciate his.
Roberta Anne

Caroline said...

LOL...I totally remember him (forgot about the big hair!). I loved how he would paint...blurs of colors that magically turn into trees and mountains.

sarah p said...

We had someone like him over here too - Rolf Harris (actually a mad Australian) (I say that because all Australians are as mad as sunstroked kangaroos ;-)) So much fun.

Kavindra said...

Oh I must learn more about this man and his videos... I never heard of him! (He's so cute with his old fashioned hair too!)

The Muse said...

We watched him school and haven't thought about this since..well.. lol

He is awesome!

Genie Sea said...

OMG! I used to watch this show all the time as a kid with my dad. WOW! Thank you for taking me down sweet memory lane. :)

And thank you so much for your support :) Hugs!

Sacred Suzie said...

Oh he was so wonderful. Even now, look at his spirit! His voice was the best, so calming. And I agree with Kenzie, at first I was always like...what is he doing?! And then he made magic on the canvas.

BTW, I think you're going to like my dream kitchen photo! It's a lot like the last pic you put up. Man, I love white! Is that boring?

8)(8 said...

I had not seen that show repeat around here, but I use to enjoy it. I will have to look and see if they are available to rent.

Penelope said...

Oh, I remember him, painting his "happy little trees"! What a great guy he was, and what talent...to watch a beautiful view of nature be created right in front of our eyes, where there was nothing before...amazing!