Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happiness


Some pursue happiness, others create it. ~ Author Unknown

There was a period of time in my life when I was very unhappy. My marriage was strained. I sought control and perfection. Stress brought about health problems. I thought stuff would fill the aching emptiness in my soul. But it never did...

It wasn't until I accepted the reality of my situation that my life began to change. It wasn't instantaneous, but I began to slow down and really think about where my life was headed. I had to be still, go within, and re-evaluate everything in my life.

I realized I had to let go. It wasn't easy. Change rarely is. Slowly, but surely my life began to change. My outlook on life changed. I began to change.

I held my breath expecting failure, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sometimes there were setbacks, but I persisted in moving forward. My marriage improved. I started to laugh again, and sing, and create. I spent time out in nature thinking and journaling. I started to count my blessings. I began to pray again.

My days are now filled with a greater sense of peace and contentment. I choose to look at life through rose-colored glasses. I make the best decisions I can at the time and trust that things will work out for my good. Life is not perfect, but the good far outweighs the bad.

I learned the secret to happiness. The power was within me all along. I had to create my own happiness...

10 comments:

{My Flip Flopz} said...

What a beautiful post!

Paula said...

Dear Tracy,
Thank you for sharing this beautiful post! I find prayer and counting my blessings help so much! We have so much to be thankful for and when times are difficult it can be hard to see those blessings. I pray for the Lord to give me more of a grateful heart. I also love to journal and find writing things down I am thankful for and blessed with remind me of just how much I have to be happy about!

Have a blessed day, and thank you for you sweet comment!!!
Love, Paula

Gypsy said...

I love this and I have had to search within on may occasion. Birth, Death, Rebirth. It's the Phoenix Process, and every time I see or discover something else about myself, Life and the Universe.

Great Post!~

Raggedy Girl said...

Tracy:
I don't know if anyone has told you that your blog and your posts are very special. You speak to my heart. I could take todays post and sign my name to it and it would apply directly to my life too. I wasted a lot of years looking for happiness in all the wrong places. Now I just want the time to experience the wonderful thing my life has become. I look forward to stopping by each day to share your journey. Thank you so much.
Roberta Anne

The Vintage Kitten said...

What a fabulous post. I dont have a perfect life, I dont suppose any of us do. There are things I would like but they probably wouldnt make me happier, but I am more fortunate than alot of people and I am grateful for that X

sarah said...

I'm so glad you found a way into light and happiness. And that you shared the wisdom of it with us.

Genie Sea said...

Awesomely empowering story! Thank you for sharing it Tracy! :)

Caroline said...

Acceptance changes everything...and knowing that you have everything within you. Blessings!

Sacred Suzie said...

Beautiful. I hope I can do the same thing Tracy, you are such a wonderful teacher on how to live a happy life. You have such amazing stories to share.

Debra said...

Yes! Acceptance is vital and I'm so glad to read that someone else thinks so. I'm glad our life is becoming what you want it to be by the choices you are making. Blessings, Debra