Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Education is Life


The girls asked for homemade muffins, so I looked up a recipe online and decided upon Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins. Sheer BLISS, were they! I enjoyed mine with milk as I reading the latest issue of Country Home.

The girls were happily occupied with board games. A childhood favorite of mine, Perfection, and Connect 4. We were listening to classic rock. I am amazed at the wide variety of music my children both know and love. Connections were made - both in learning and on a heart level.

Flipping through the channels, we found a painting/art show on a public tv station, called Brush with Nature. It is a how-to series based on the oil-painting techniques of Heiner Hertling, an artist who works outdoors and each episode includes a painting lesson. Today, he painted a fox. We also enjoy watching Bob Ross. We clocked the shows so we can watch them each week.

There is always so much to do and to learn. To be able to pursue our interests and passions, learning along the way, is one of life's greatest blessings! Now we are off to the library to find things that are interesting and fun.

Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. ~John Dewey

3 comments:

Mrs. Staggs said...

It sounds like your days are filled with fun and interesting things to do. I always enjoyed watching Bob Ross. Mostly, I enjoyed his voice. Soft and sweet. He seemed such a patient man.

Today, I heard that Country Home isn't going to be published any longer. I hope that isn't true. It's been a favorite of mine for years.

Genie Sea said...

You won't get an argument from me there :)

What a warm and lovely time with your girls! :)

Are there any muffins and milk left? :)

Sacred Suzie said...

You know, I have never made anything of Nigella's. Her cooking recipes are pretty spicy and unusual but it's true, her baking recipes look wildly wonderful! I'm going to try making your cookies today Tracy. I hope the library was wonderful!