Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Love Knits Us Together


We awoke to a frost covered landscape, though the temperature was 41 degrees. The leaves on the ground were sparkling in the dawn's early light and sounded crisp beneath my feet. The only sound that could be heard was the chirp of the cardinals in their red and brown feathered finery.

Yesterday the girls went to visit one of the elderly neighbor ladies on our street and she gave them a gingerbread house kit. I have never made one before, but we are going to give it our best shot today. It should be fun!

There is work to be done in the home, as usual, but I count it all joy. I am so thankful that I can work at my own pace and make my work more pleasant with music and beauty.

I love using my creativity to make wonderful, hearty meals out of seemingly nothing. Last night we had chili made with ground turkey, served over rice and topped with cheddar cheese. I got rave reviews from my family.

It can be a challenge to stretch Alfred's income to cover all our needs, but it is so rewarding at the same time. With us being a one-income family, we must prioritize our needs. We have had to make choices and simplify our lifestyle. There's no keeping up with the Joneses here!

At the end of the day, it is love that knits us all together and makes our humble house a home.

7 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

I love this post! One day your kids will look back and they won't remember having to stretch dollars or keeping up with the Joneses - they'll remember a mom who loved her life and spent her days making their home a warm, safe place. We're a one income family too and there are times when we just barely make ends meet but being here for them is SO worth it!

8)(8 said...

The girls will have fun decorating the gingerbread house. We use the candy collected fron Halloween.

Thank you for those thoughts.

Most parents I know put their children first, but it in the final analysis it is love, time and values ( and probably things I can't think of this morning0 that matter.

Bobbi said...

Love truly does knit us all together - beautiful post! Good luck with the gingerbread house!

The Muse said...

Your post has warmed my heart this cold December day! :)

Natalie said...

It is not what you provide materially for you children that matters, it is them knowing that they are loved and well taken care of

Raggedy Girl said...

Tracy:
Your thoughts should be taught to every newlywed. Family is what is important, not money or things. And this is the perfect time of year to recall that fact.
Roberta Anne

Caroline said...

I love decorating gingerbread houses! How fun. I know what you mean about making your money stretch on one income...it can be done and it can be fun. I have learned to be creative...it shocks me sometimes. But I am blessed that I don't have to work...I can be frugal :)