Saturday, December 13, 2008

Karate Kids

We, as a family, have always been interested in the martial arts. As a child, I can remember daddy watching Kung Fu Theater every Sunday. I loved watching Bruce Lee in action...he was my favorite!


Daddy took Tae Kwon Do and as far as I knew had only reached green belt. Imagine my surprise, when Mama told me that daddy had became a black belt! I had no idea!


Now my children will be taking Karate classes on Mondays and Wednesdays and they are so excited! The dojo incorporates the arts of Kempo karate, Jujutsu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, and Kickboxing. Alfred and I are looking forward to watching their growing confidence, skills, and physical fitness in the months to come.

6 comments:

sarah p said...

We are going to try karate soon too. So I shall be watching to see how it goes for your girls! They certainly look up to it - such sparkles in their eyes :-)

Sandcastle Momma said...

It looks like they're really going to enjoy this! And I personally think it's especially good for girls to learn to defend themselves. No date rape going on when the girl can kick your butt LOL

Kendall looks SO much like his dad!

Raggedy Girl said...

Tracy:
The kids look great and I remember when my grandson did this and did something called the Cada and it was so beautiful and you could tell that learning it would create peace inside you.
Roberta Anne

Sacred Suzie said...

They're so cute in their Gi! Martial art is fabulous for kids, I highly believe everyone should know how to defend themselves and it requires a good teacher to teach them the important lessons about non-violence as well. My husband is a martial arts instructor of Northern Shaoulin kung fu and even though I can't study the physical element, he has taught me so much about the philosophy. Way to go Tracy! I totally think you rock as a mom.

8)(8 said...

They look so cute!

Mrs. Staggs said...

I think this is such a wonderful idea, and for boys and girls alike. There is so much emphasis on inner strenght and self discipline in the martial arts, that is based on centering yourself. Those skills will last a lifetime.