Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wildlife and Wild Life


I want to apologize to everyone who thought we were off to shoot deer. Eek! No, no, no - we love animals and nature and I don't have the heart to kill a creature so beautiful.

I want our little homestead to be a haven for wildlife. I don't use chemicals on my gardens. I keep bird feeders and a bird bath filled with food and fresh water. I want to add a few bat houses to curb the mosquito population naturally, bird houses, and plant a butterfly garden, too.

We have a partially dead tree in the front yard that Alfred has wanted to cut down, but so far we haven't had the chance due to the woodpeckers that have taken up residence there. When one set moves out, another moves in. And so we watch and wait...

And I feel such empathy for wildlife because man tries to control that which is wild and free. What can not be controlled, it is often killed.

"Wildlife and the Wild Woman are both endangered species."
Clarissa Pinkola Estes

4 comments:

Susan in SC said...

I know the deer are safe with you! I feel the same way about my homestead. We are all about nature and protection of wildlife. I can't even stand the thought of pulling weeds!!

sarah p said...

I love your attitude :-)

Caroline said...

I never for a minute thought you would shoot a deer! It does make me sad that we have encroached on their land...when I see deer in the road, it's such a sad reminder...

Sacred Suzie said...

Tracy, I knew that there was no way there would be any harm to animals happening anywhere near you. I love that your home is a sanctuary for wildlife and I completely love hearing about the woodpeckers!