Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cheesy Potato Soup

3 cups peeled, diced potatoes
2 cups water
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced carrots
1 Tbsp. minced onion
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 cups milk
1 cup Velveeta, cubed

Put water in pot. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, parsley; cook until tender. Add the milk & cheese. Turn the heat to low & simmer until cheese is well melted. Add salt & pepper to taste.
***
I made this for dinner last night. I didn't have celery or parsley & I substituted minced onion for diced onion and added a good bit of mozzarella, but it still turned out delicious. It would have been perfect if I had made cornbread to go along with it. I'll know to do it next time. I'm thinking that adding broccoli florets would be nice, too.

After dinner there was still a good bit of cheesy broth left so I peeled and diced more potatoes and cooked them until they were tender and added it to the pot. The broth was too good to just toss out and it made plenty to send with Alfred to work and for us to have it again today for lunch.

This is just an example of how I have been creative with our meals lately. Use what you have and don't be afraid to make substitutions as needed.

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

Yummy! I'm so glad you pointed out this recipe to me, it sounds delicious. Way to go with coming up with easy and yummy ideas in the kitchen Tracy, that rocks!