Saturday, October 04, 2008

Wonder...


I was wondering earlier today about how I came to the desire to lead a more simple life. Simple meaning a natural way of living - back to the land, if you will - not necessarily easier, yet more fulfilling in many senses. I would be well described by most as a city girl who enjoyed the conveniences of modern-day living. And in the past I most assuredly would have agreed with you!

Something happened to me once we moved away from the center of town with it's noise and bright lights. I began to long for the simpler things in life - time spent in nature, more home-cooking, acknowledging the changing seasons, and gardening. I began to appreciate the small things that are often taken for granted - cheerful morning bird songs, the wind whispering through the trees, a freshly mown lawn, or laughter shared with loved ones.

I believe the yearning was always there, but somewhere along the way the desire was hushed and ignored, but the desire for something more was always there, lingering in the back of my mind, just waiting for a chance to be remembered and acknowledged. The desire to be real....authentic...to be me in all my glory unashamed that I don't fit in with the status quo. Why did I waste so many years trying to fit in? I am an individual. I am unique.

The fact of the matter is this....We are all unique. We all have our own gifts and talents to use and share with the world. Take the time to slow down. Listen to the longings and desires. Dabble. Rediscover what makes your heart sing. And go for it!

5 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

These days, people fill their schedules up with so many things that they really aren't absorbing what they're doing and how their lives are changing. We lose touch with the earth, we don't know how to be quiet and still. I try and make sure I only have one appointment a week (not always possible but I try) and give myself at least one day a week to be creative. I also nap and stare out the window a lot as a means of meditation and communing with the universe.

I think that the change in setting really is resonating with your spirit Tracy and that you're growing and glowing, becoming more spiritually awake and alive. It's beautiful!

Robert V. Sobczak said...

Everyone I run into these days is saying how "busy" they are; but it's not like the "old school" definition of actually doing work, it's in our new age reality of being "preoccupied."

Not that I am better. I find myself falling into the same old trap.

The good news! You can't get out of a trap unless you know your in one!

Caroline said...

I feel very much the same. I love simplicity...there is such peace and beauty in "simple." I lived in the city with all the hustle and bustle...it was fun for awhile, but then became stressful and exhausting. Simple is good!

Lady Laurie said...

Suzie couldn't have said this better. I think that what fills up peoples lives is things they could do without in the first place. People that whip out their daily planner to fit you into their schedule make me nervous.
I am at a point in my life where I have to "stop and smell the roses." Life is such a precious thing, it goes by quick enough as it is...
I think living a more simple life is the way to go especially with the way things are going. Think of the wonderful things you are passing on to your children. That you can be happy and fulfilled without all the trappings of today's society.

Mrs. Staggs said...

Oh Tracy, I truly loved reading this beautiful post, and I really needed to hear it today. I always feel a little bit different and out of place in the world. I understand perfectly, the feelings you have. I think you will find that by living this "simpler" life you will find happiness, that stays in your heart always, even when things feel a bit sad, or scattered. We all have those times now and then, but when you love nature and simpler things, you will always have a place in your heart to retreat to.