Thursday, October 30, 2008

Taming the Wild Beast


"...there was about him a suggestion of lurking ferocity, as though the Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept."
Jack London

I really dislike the days that Alfred comes home surly and snarly due to problems and frustrations concerning his work - as was the case last night. But all is not lost and those evenings can be restored if handled carefully.

First, I ask what happened and then let him vent his frustrations. I say very little until each and every complaint has been voiced.

Next, I sympathize with him and let him know I am on his side.

Then, if/when he says he needs to find another line if work, I encourage him in his endeavors. After all, he is the family provider and I want him to be happy in his work.

I usually leave him to bathe in a steaming tub of water while I finish up with dinner prep. I have found that once he's vented, had some time to simmer down, and is then well-fed that the evening then goes quite smoothly.

I can usually get him to laugh and that's my cue that all is well.

2 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

You are so smart in how you handle that! The Island King has come in grumpy on occassion when I'm grumpy and when he snarls I snarl back and it all goes downhill from there LOL It's so much better to let them vent and just smile and tell them it'll be ok. I think men are like children sometimes and after a really bad day they just want to come home and have mom give them a hug and a cookie like when they were little LOL
I hope he's feeling better!

Sacred Suzie said...

Very adult and mature and wise way to handle that situation. We all need to vent, it's true. It keeps us healthy when there is no other choice. We all have wild energy and it probably emerged from all the Scorpio energy that's been about these last few days. Intense!