Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Simplicity Revisted


In response to my post on Simplicity, Deby said:

"Our home is now 960 sq.feet...and I have way to much...some days I could TOSS it all...just clean, cook, read and blog..a little stitchery here and there and maybe only 5 outfits to wear...that would be simple living to me?"

That sounds perfectly delightful!

Our home is approximately 1, 216 square feet. For a family of 5, it's a small space. I'm not sure my family would go for it, but I like the idea of dramatically down-sizing our possessions.

A life of radical simplicity.

Even if my family won't come on board, all is not lost. There is a lot that I can do to change their perspective. First, I can start with clearing out my own clutter. Then, I can use my feminine wiles to persuade my family over to my point of view. I don't think it would be too difficult once they see the benefits of a simpler lifestyle.

Let the simplifying begin!

6 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

I love the idea of getting rid of the clutter but we all seem to have so many hobbies and interests that there are always piles of stuff around. Yarn, stitchery items, painting and drawing supplies, magazines and we have LOTS of books. I also have trouble getting rid of anything the kids bring me - I have a pile of acorns, wildflowers and rocks on my table right now that I can't seem to get rid of LOL

Iris said...

It's funny I came accross what you wrote today. I've been thinking of doing the same thing, getting more organized. Actually, I have to, out of necessity, we have 4 children still at home and we live in a 3 bedroom house. I am a person who loves organization and dislikes clutter. But teaching that to 5 other people is a work all in itself. I love the picture you posted. I have wildflowers we planted to attract hummingbirds and butterflys in our yard. I have to learn to get better with the camera to get good shots like yours though. you take care, Iris :)

Jane said...

I agree. Start slowly, room by room. When I was moving out of my old house, I tackled one room at a time. Some things got taken to a donation shop and others simply had to go. It was an awesome feeling to load my car with so much "stuff" that was not needed for so long.

Before long, you'll start to look at pieces of furniture in your house and think about how things could be utilized for storage. It's actually fun and challenging :))

Sacred Suzie said...

Fantastic! Clearing is so powerful. There is so much we don't need but hold on to. I wish you joy with your letting go and simplifying. I look forward to the week of air where it's dedicated to this practice.

Lady Laurie said...

Well, we did get rid of lots of things unintentionally thanks to Katrina, but then we learned how to get by on lots less. This is the first time I have ever had cabinets that are empty! My kids remark nowadays that we just aren't attached to "stuff" anymore and that is so true. I also don't hang on to things, like magazines anymore. I read em' and donate them!
I have also found that when I buy something now that might be old or fragile I use it anyway instead of putting it away because "its too good" to use. I might as well enjoy the things I have.
Good luck on your decluttering,

Lady Laurie said...

Sorry I hit publish when I wasn't done! I wanted to say good luck on your decluttering ~ I have found that my hubby is the one that likes to hold on to things, just in case we might need it someday. We have tons of wire and things left over from building the house, that I don't think we will ever use!