Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Simple Living Isn't Always So Simple

I've gone through another 5# bag of flour this week - unbelievable! I don't think I have been so tired in quite some time. I am ready to go to bed shortly after dinner, but am usually up until 9pm.

I was so proud of myself this morning. I made a double batch of pancake batter & had noticed lately that mine didn't taste quite as good as the box mix. So I added some vanilla extract and now mine taste better than the box mix! I don't know why I didn't think of that before....yes, I do. Because I am a follow-the-recipe-to-the-letter kind of girl and I was afraid I'd mess it up if I altered it. I'm still working on being more creative in the kitchen!


I am also working on getting my electricity bill as low as I possibly can. I finally saw the meter reader for the first time in over a year, so I went out and wrote down the reading after he left. I'm unplugging everything I possibly can. Alfred is going to start weather-stripping and caulking around doors and windows -- hopefully this weekend. I need to research more ways to reduce our usage and therefore expense.

I had better get to work around here!

4 comments:

Caroline said...

I am always amazed at how effective weather proofing is! It takes a lot of work...but boy does it save money!

patience said...

Aha, you have discovered the secret to wonderful pancakes! I always put vanilla extract into mine, despite it being in no recipe I've ever seen, and not only do they turn out fabulously but it means I can reduce the sugar content. Infact, I make them with honey now instead of sugar, and feel better about eating them ;-)

I'd go so far as to say my regular pancake mix is actually a health food! ;-)

Maggie Ann said...

Oh how I love pancakes!

Lady Laurie said...

I go through an awful lot of flour too...I have been wondering about buying one of those big sacks, but I don't think we would have room in our freezer!
It took me a long time and many experiments with recipes to come up with things we think tastes good. Sometimes a recipe calls for what I think is way too much sugar so I'll cut it way down and it tastes just fine!